Monday, December 14, 2009

Physical Activities to Help in Recovery


After breaking your addiction, it is important to keep your self busy and what better way to do that than by taking care of yourself physically. Of course a good diet is a must. It will keep you feeling healthy and keep your energy level up too.

There are a variety of physical activities that will fit the bill. If you have been inactive you might want to start off slow with a walking program. It doesn’t have to be done everyday but some find that it’s easier to keep at it if it’s consistent. If walking is to tame for you, try jogging. This can be done outdoors if the weather in your area permits but a treadmill will work just as well. There are fit clubs in just about every town. They offer a variety of workouts and activities that might include swimming, weights, aerobics classes, stair steppers, and treadmills. They usually have personal trainers available if you’re not quite sure where to start.

If you enjoy the outdoors but want something a little more than a walk, try a bicycle. Most towns allow bicycles to share the road with cars. You might try city parks for a little more scenery. Bigger towns might offer bike trails that will keep you out of traffic. It’s really all personal preference. As you build up your stamina you might consider entering local foot and/or bicycle races. If you are lucky enough to live near mountains you might try your hand at mountain climbing, mountain biking or just walking the trails.

Whatever you choose to do, it’s important to remain active and keep a positive outlook on life. If you have found activities that have helped you on your road to recovery we would love to hear from you. Others may well benefit from your experiences. If you or someone you love has an addiction to drugs or alcohol, let them know they are not alone. There is help available at A Better Tomorrow. They are waiting for your call. Go ahead and do it now, for yourself, or for someone you love.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

4 comments:

  1. I've been working my way up and I'm getting ready to enter my first 5K race. It's a long way from a marathon, which is what I would like to be able to do within a year, but it's also a long way from where I started. Exercise has been very good for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always rode a bicycle to school and then to work as I got older. Biking seems to be what I'm good at. I've tried to add distance and a varied terrain to my rides. I'd like to try some mountain biking sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always active in school, playing as many sports as I could. Drugs stole all of that from me. It's been a long haul, but I've regained some of the agility and speed I possessed back then. It feels good to be back in control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined the local fit club and I'm finding that I really like the physical building. When the weather improves I'm going to add bicycling to the regemine.

    ReplyDelete