Tuesday, December 15, 2009

More Ideas to Shore up Your Recovery


We’ve already touched on Journaling, but there are other forms of writing that can be just as helpful. Try your hand at poetry. Not the flowery kind, unless you feel moved in that direction. Try putting your feelings and thoughts about your addiction into a poem. It doesn’t have to be professional, you’re shooting for therapeutic. Don’t discount this idea; it might be easier than you think.

Write a farewell letter to your addiction. Tell it how and why you fell into its grasp. Explain how you felt when you were in its deepest pit of despair. Give it all the gory details you suffered at its hand. Let it know how much you lost of yourself and your life while you were tied to it. Tell it how you are faring now, without its devastating and debilitating effects holding you down. Let it know that you never want to see it or think about it again.

Set some goals for yourself. They could be short term or long term or a combination of the two. Write them down on a piece of paper that you can carry with you. Take it out and read it frequently, evaluating any progress you might have made towards reaching the goals.

Try writing a list of things you are grateful for. Head the list with the fact that you are free of your addiction and go from there. When you think you have completed this list, hang it where you will see it every day. I’m betting as the day’s progress you will find a lot more that you will want to add to that gratitude list.
If you are feeling like you could conquer the world, go to blogger.com and start a free blog of your own about your progress in recovery. If you have found another way to keep yourself moving forward, share it with us.

Your successes might be just what someone else needs to get them on the right path. If you or someone you know has a problem with drugs or alcohol A Better Tomorrow is there to help you get on the road to recovery. All you have to do is make the call.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

4 comments:

  1. I had to smile when I read about trying your hand at poetry. I never considered myself a poet, but when I started writing poetry about my addiction and life as an addict, it just seemed to roll right out of the pen. I've shared some of them with others and they were impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count my blessings every day. After the hell I was locked in, I don't want to forget for a minute, all of the things that I have to live for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of writing the farewell letter. As soon as I read the blog ideas started forming in my mind. I'm going to do it. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been a goal oriented person. Even when I was in grade school. Actually, that's where I got started. It worked so well back then I just kept it up. Still works for me today. I'll be 50 in a few months.

    ReplyDelete