Friday, December 4, 2009

Avoiding a Relapse

Congratulations! You’ve beat your addiction, whatever it might have been but you might still be feeling a bit shaky about your future. That’s totally understandable. You lived in a vacuum of dependence where all you had to drive you was your next fix. The world has opened up for you and you’ll need to figure out how to go about fitting back in.

First off you have got to believe in yourself. You’ve already come through the worst of it. Look at yourself in the mirror each morning and tell yourself, “I am surrounded by people who love and care for me”, “I am free of the past”, “I control my future”, and “I can do this”.

Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day. You are making changes that will affect the rest of your life. Do not make important decisions without giving yourself time to think it through. If you need to talk to someone, do it. Counseling is not a bad thing. If you don’t want the structure of counseling, talk to someone you trust, be it a friend or family member.

Recovery is your choice. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you feel you need it. If you have something on your mind or in your heart that you don’t want to trust to another individual, try talking to God or your higher power whoever it may be. If your higher power is God, seek solace and talk to him aloud and trust that nothing you say to Him will come as a shock. He will not judge you for what you are bringing to Him. Let yourself feel the love and acceptance that only He can give you.

If you have found other methods that worked for you, let us know what they are so others might use them too. If you or someone you know has a problem with an addiction there is help available. Call A Better Tomorrow and let them help you find the way back to the life you deserve.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. What an uplifting article. Thank you. I've been there and done that and am working hard to keep things on an even keel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been several years since I kicked my addiction but I don't believe for a minute that it can't happen again. I fight it still, frequently. It's not every day, but it's several times a month. Thanks for the encouraging tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that it's inevitable to at least think about a relapse. It's human nature. The trick is to readjust your thinking to a more positive mind set. Don't dwell on it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking to yourself in the mirror sounds kind of strange but since I'm newly into recovery I'm willing to give it a chance. Frankly I can use all the help I can get. It's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought much about God before or during my addiction. Since I've gotten myself clean, it seems more important to me that I make that connection. I've joined a church and found that the entire congregation is a new support system for me.

    ReplyDelete