Thursday, December 17, 2009

Can a pet be the motivation you need in your recovery?


The last place you want to be is back in the pit of addiction. You have worked long and hard to get where you are today. It hasn’t been easy, but it has been rewarding. Kudos to you for all you have achieved.

A crucial part of your recovery is to reach a point where you can help others. If you are attending a twelve step program, chances are you have had the help of a sponsor. This would be someone who is in recovery themselves, reaching out to help you. If you feel that you are in a solid enough position yourself, you might consider becoming a sponsor. Believe in yourself, this is something you can do. If you don’t feel ready for this type of commitment, don’t worry about. At some point in the future you will be ready and you will take the initiative and responsibility to help someone else.

A pet might be a viable answer for you, especially if you are new to the road of recovery. The best pet may be a puppy or young dog that will form a bond with you as you will with it. A dog will show you unconditional love and acceptance. They don’t ever judge you. They will run to you barking and excited every time you walk through the door. They don’t care where you’ve been or what you’ve done before in your life. They will play with you, walk with you, run with you or just sit quietly by your side, enjoying the companionship. They are there if you need them, no matter time of the day or night it might be. They don’t ask for much besides food and water in their bowls and an occasional trip outside. A dog never gets tired of your company and they don’t talk to others about you.

If you have a story to share, please do. Someone else may be able to benefit from it. If one of these suggestions has worked for you, or if you have found a better way, let us hear from you. Reaching out to others is a powerful healer. If you or someone you know has a problem with drugs or alcohol, put them in touch with A Better Tomorrow. The staff is waiting to hear from you and to guide you to the path of recovery.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I dog makes more sense in this situation. I like cats but they tend to be more stand offish and they decide when they will be friendly with you. Totally different from what you can expect from a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, Zane. I have a cat and a dog and the dog is definitely more personable. I swear he smiles when I walk in the door. The cat? She turns her back on me and lifts her tail. I think I get the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the first things I did after I left the treatment center was to go to the pound and adopt a dog. I think that was the one best decision I've ever made in my life. That was 11 years ago. I've stayed clean and Oscar has stayed by my side, encouraging me daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always had a cat as a child. I think it was because my Mom preferred having a cat. I have a couple of dogs now and I find that I enjoy them much more than I ever did the cat. These guys are the best part of my life right now. Total acceptance is a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dog was the only one who didn't desert me during my months of addiction. I can't imagine why he stayed because there were days he went without enough food and water. He may have been part of the reason I quit and he really is part of the reason I have stayed clean. He's the best, my bud, my friend, my rock!

    ReplyDelete