Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Life After Death

The life of an addict can be broken down into three phases. The first phase would be life before drugs. The second phase could be considered death. The third phase, and hopefully the last for you, is life after death.

Phase one covers all of the time from your birth to the point in time where drugs became your obsession. Relationships with family and friends were built. Your school years came and most likely went according to schedule. You had a variety of jobs and maybe even embarked on a career. You surely formed serious relationships, maybe even got married and had children. All of these relationships and events could be categorized from the pits to the best, or somewhere in between. No matter how you would rate each of them, they were real.

Phase two began as phase one started to fade. Drugs became more important than anything or anyone in your life. It was definitely the end of life as you knew it. There was trust that is no more. You began alienating yourself from people, family, friends and co-workers because no one could understand what you were going through. The truth is, they did understand what you were going through, they just couldn’t see a reason why. They wanted what was best for you and you only wanted the release you found in drugs. The paths were not compatible. Separation was inevitable. Addiction is a lonely place, a death in almost every sense of the word.

Life after death is hopefully your final phase. You have kicked the habit and are working hard to stay away from the temptation of drugs. You are most likely trying to mend all the broken fences of relationships with family and friends. You are heading towards being an acceptable part of society again. If you haven’t started working yet, you will. No one is about to tell you that any of this is easy, but you can do it. You will have to work long and hard to earn back the trust you threw away. Your life will go in the direction you want, you are totally in charge of your destiny.

If you have found a way that worked well for you, please share it with us so others may benefit from your trials. If you or someone you know has a problem with addiction we want you to be assured that there is help available. A Better Tomorrow is the answer and they are waiting to hear from you.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

4 comments:

  1. This makes a lot of sense. Thankyou for the article, all of them really. They make me think, and I need that, especially now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard this phrased quite this way but I have to agree that it is just how I felt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always called my life BD and AD. Before drugs and after drugs. I couldn't even call my drug time death because I remember nothing of it. I was strung out all the time. I didn't know one day from the next or one person from the next. I'm grateful it is behind me and I never want to go to that scary place again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life after death is where I am, and where I want to stay. I'm ready, willin and able to do whatever it takes to stay on top of things. Thank you for all of the encouragement and great advice I get on your site.

    ReplyDelete