Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Don’t Ignore Depression



Getting yourself on the road to recovery from addiction is a major step in your life. There is no guarantee that everything during your recovery will go smoothly. As a matter of fact, about the only thing you can be sure of is that it won’t be a perfect bowl of cherries.

There will be a few pits along the way so be prepared.

If you think you are having problems with depression, you most likely are and you need to get some professional help to deal with it. It really is not all that unusual to have some symptoms of depression. You have been to hell and back and if you feel like you need some help don’t hesitate to get it. It may only take a few sessions with a qualified therapist and they may want you to take an antidepressant medication for a while. If it can help you to feel better, do it. There may be some problems that can’t be helped, but this is not one of them.

If you are not sure it is depression there are symptoms you should know about. Do you feel sad or irritable? Have you lost interest in activities that you used to enjoy? Have there been changes in your weight or appetite? Have you noticed changes in your sleep patterns? Do you feel guilty about something? Do you have trouble concentrating, remembering things or making decisions? Do you suffer from fatigue or loss of energy? Do you have restlessness or decreased activity that others have noticed and commented on? Do you feel hopeless or worthless? Have you had thoughts of suicide or death?

The National Mental Health Association believes that if you answered yes to 5 or more questions, you may be suffering from clinical depression. This test is not a replacement for a visit to a mental health professional but it may help you to realize what you need to convey to your healthcare provider.

If you or someone you know has a problem with drugs or alcohol, there is help available. Call A Better Tomorrow and let them get you on the road to recovery.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. That picture really is how depression feels. Like you've broken into little pieces that don't quite fit together anymore. I got help and I feel much better now. I can't believe how long I put off dealing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depression sucks. Nothing is right when you're depressed. Everything hurts, no one else can understand, life just doesn't seem worth living. It's an awful feeling and I never want to feel like that again. Medication and couseling have righted my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was depressed but my Mom kept telling me that I had too much to be thankful for to be depressed. I'm glad I didn't listen to her. I found help and with medication I'm feeling much better. Mom's don't always know what's best for you. Listen to your instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is right on. I kept thinking if I could wait it out my depression would go away. Not only didn't it go away, it got worse. I clearly needed help a long time before I sought it. If you need help, get it, now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depression is a horrid place to be. You feel so isolated and gut sure that no one can understand where you are. That kind of thinking almost ended my life. I found the help I needed just in time.

    ReplyDelete