Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Benefits of Journaling


You don’t have to be a great writer to reap the benefits of keeping a personal journal. You don’t have to have neat penmanship and you don’t need to be a good speller. If you can read what you write, that’s all that’s necessary. A journal could be done on a computer as well as on paper. Make it convenient for yourself. You don’t have to write in a journal every day, but it is beneficial to you if you do. If you feel the need, especially in the beginning, you may want to go back to it several times in one day. The good thing about using a notebook is that it is portable and you can carry it with you no matter where you go. A laptop would work the same way, but most computers are stationary.

A journal is nothing more than putting your thoughts and feelings on paper. It can contain anything you want to commit to it. You can share it with others, or you can keep it to yourself. The benefit comes from putting your thoughts into words. At some point you may want to go back and read what you have written. It’s a visible tool you can use to see how you are progressing through your recovery. We all have things locked inside of us that we may not feel we can share with anyone else.

Putting it down on paper is a way of sharing. Just writing it down can be a reliever of the stress we suffer from keeping it locked inside ourselves. In a way, it is like sharing it with another person. Once we write it down on paper, we can look at, think about it, analyze it, and quite possibly start to recover from it. At some point, you may even be able to talk about it with someone else, although it’s not imperative that you do. It’s whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Journaling can be a great stress reliever. It can help you solve problems. You will be able to see things more clearly as you read what you have written. The mind is only capable of so much and rarely can you envision the ‘whole picture’. Putting it in writing can help you do that.

If journaling has helped you in your recovery process, let us hear about it. If you have found something that works as well or better, tell us about that too. If you or someone you love has an addiction problem, there is help out there. A Better Tomorrow is waiting to hear from you, today. Make the call, life can be better.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I've never had a problem with drugs or alcohol but I did have some early abuse that I've had a hard time dealing with. My therapist suggested keeping a journal. I've been doing it for a couple of years now and I really enjoy it. I believe it has helped me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always jotting down ideas and reminders so it was almost second nature for me to start journaling as part of my recovery from meth addiction. I believe it has helped me tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Journaling is a positive thing for anyone willing to take the time to do it. I started when I was 15, inspired by the journals my great grandma kept when she lived in Germany. I hope my great grandkids have the opportunity to read mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been keeping a journal for nearly a year. I didn't start right after the treatment center but I'm glad I started when I did. It's been a tremendous help to me to be able to go back and see what I wrote at different times during my recovery. I can see the progress and it's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my counselor suggested a journal I just about freaked out. The thought of putting everything down on paper was daunting. I said no at first, but over a couple of months of discussing it, I decided to give it a try. I love it. I wish I hadn't been so resistant.

    ReplyDelete