Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Go Back to School


Contrary to what some people may believe, you’re never too old to go back to school. Maybe it was the pressure from your job that led to your addiction problems. If it was, I’m sure you will want to change careers. Don’t even let the thought cross your mind that you’re too old for that. There was a woman at our church that never finished high school. She got married and raised 10 kids. She went back to school when she was 60 and graduated with a business degree five years later.

If you don’t want to tackle college and all of the classes you would need for a degree, you might consider a trade school. There are trade schools everywhere and they are not just for high school age kids. There are plenty of grown ups who are looking to change careers for a variety of reasons.

You don’t know what you want to be when you grow up? That’s OK too. Colleges and trade schools have career counselors who can talk to you and help you decide what type of career you are best suited for. You might just want to take some basic classes that you would need no matter what major you ended up declaring.

Take some fun classes. Try your hand at art such as painting or sculpting, or try a music class, maybe picking up an instrument. You might be a good writer and want to consider a career in journalism. There are as many classes available as you can imagine. This can be a positive move for you during recovery. Some institutions even offer on line classes so you only have to go to the school for certain things. Give it some thought; it might work in your favor.

If you have changed careers and found a better life for yourself, let us hear from you. If you or someone you know has a problem with alcohol or drugs, A Better Tomorrow is there to help you find your way back. All you have to do is pick up the phone and make the call.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

4 comments:

  1. I was a freshman in college when I fell prey to addiction. I was terrified of going back, but I did it. That was 4 years ago. I'll be graduating in the spring. This is very good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking this advice and running with it. I don't know why I didn't think of it before myself. I need a major change for the good and I think this is it. I really don't have a career, I've only had jobs. It's time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in and out of some kind of class for nearly 62 years. Most of them were just for fun but I took work related classes too. An idle mind is the devils playground. I just can't take that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about going back to school but thought 42 was too old. When I went out to the college to check things out I was surprised to see how many older people there were. Some appeared to be in their 60's and 70's. They also seemed to be enjoying themselves. Needless to say, I signed up.

    ReplyDelete