Thursday, April 1, 2010

Symptoms of Withdrawal

Depending on the type of addiction a person has, will determine the typical withdrawal symptoms they will go through. This is a basic list of typical withdrawal symptoms from particular addictions.

Alcohol: Typical withdrawal symptoms are sweating, anxiety, tremors, seizures, psychosis, and fluctuations in blood pressure and heart rate. A person will go through what is called the DT’s (delirium tremens) - a state of extreme agitation, with periods of hallucinations, hyperactivity, tremors, and confusion.

Opiates/Narcotics: Mimic alcohol withdrawal in the anxiety, and increased heart rate and blood pressure, with the addition of insomnia, dilated pupils, nausea, and vomiting.

Stimulants: Typical withdrawal symptoms are excessive fatigue, depression, and bouts with migraines.

Barbiturates: Withdrawal symptoms commonly associated with barbiturates are nausea, fast breathing, increased heart rate, tremors, muscle pains, insomnia, hallucinations, convulsions, and delirium. If withdrawal is not monitored closely when dealing with barbiturates, death is very possible.

Benzodiazepines: The common withdrawal symptoms associated with Benzodiazepines are delirium; muscle twitches; hallucinations; sensitivity to light, sound taste and smell; tinnitus; tingling and/or numbness; and insomnia.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

3 comments:

  1. Reading through the lists of withdrawal symptoms, I can honestly say that I'm glad I was never tempted to indulge in drugs or over indulge in alcohol. My heart goes out to those who were not strong enough to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of them give you warm and fuzzy feelings, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I've gone through more than one of the lists you gave. I've been clean and sober for 11 months and 3 weeks today. I celebrate every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you start mixing drugs, the mix of withdrawal symptoms increases too. I was always high on something and most of the time I didn't even know what I was using. I couldn't pay for it so I was using whatever I could beg, borrow or steal. Legal problems sent me to rehab and it was a nightmare I never want to visit again.

    ReplyDelete