Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do you have a Social Media Addiction?

An interesting study was done at the University of Maryland regarding social media addiction. The University’s study followed 200 students who agreed to go without social media for just 24 hours. That included cell phones and computers. You wouldn’t think 24 hours would be that hard to go without social networks, but the 24 hour absence caused reactions similar to drug withdrawal. Read the article here at Voices.WashingtonPost.com. It is entertaining, yet scary and sad at the same time. Do you think we have a new epidemic on the horizon?

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I'm guessing that the students were younger. They have had these conveniences for all or most of their lives. I know there are people my age who are addicted to the computer but I can take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 48 years old. I never spent a lot of time on the phone once I was past school age. I worked with computers at work but never spent a lot of time on one at home. Still don't. Maybe an hour a day, 4 or 5 days a week. I doubt that would be considered an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't, but my kids sure as hell do. They always have their ears plugged in to something. Occasionally, they have both ears plugged into 2 different things like music in one ear and the phone in the other. I actually have to tap them on the shoulder to get their attention so they can unplug at least one ear so they can hear me. Is that what you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read your article and all of the comments and it seems to be unanimous that the younger generation is more prone to have this problem. I know a few people in their 50's who are just as bad but very few under 35 who don't have this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat at a restaurant that offers free wifi. I sit and watch the people with their noses glued to the screens while they shovel food into their mouths. I doubt they are enjoying what they are eating as real eating uses most of the senses and most of theirs are otherwise occupied. I want to go over and look at the screen to see what's so important that it can't wait 20 minutes until they finish eating.

    ReplyDelete