Wednesday, April 7, 2010

CoDA Twelve Promises

CoDA offers Twelve Promises:

1. I know a new sense of belonging. The feeling of emptiness and loneliness will disappear.

2. I am no longer controlled by my fears. I overcome my fears and act with courage, integrity, and dignity.

3. I know a new freedom.

4. I release myself from worry, guilt, and regret about my past and present. I am aware enough not to repeat it.

5. I know a new love and acceptance of myself and others. I feel genuinely lovable, loving, and loved.

6. I learn to see myself as equal to others. My new and renewed relationships are all with equal partners.

7. I am capable of developing and maintaining healthy and loving relationships. The need to control and manipulate others will disappear as I learn to trust those who are trustworthy.

8. I learn that it is possible to mend - to become more loving, intimate, and supportive. I have the choice of communicating with my family in a way, which is safe for me and respectful of them.

9. I acknowledge that I am a unique and precious creation.

10. I no longer need to rely solely on others to provide my sense of worth.

11. I trust the guidance I receive from my higher power and come to believe in my own capabilities.

12. I gradually experience serenity, strength, and spiritual growth in my daily life.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

4 comments:

  1. I get up every day and read these promises while I'm brushing my teeth. The practice starts my days off on a positive note. I carry a copy in my pocket in case I need a boost later in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Parrish. That's pretty close to what I do too. I keep a copy in my purse, although I know them by heart. I'll run through the list in my head several times a day especially if I'm unable to call a friend to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of these promises could be applicable to everyone who has had a major problem in their lives. Reading positive promises to yourself is a great way to build up a damaged ego.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same thing Byron. I don't think they would mind if others used the promises. I know it wouldn't bother me. I grew up in a family of addicts/drinkers. Without support, I may have given in and joined them.

    ReplyDelete