Friday, April 30, 2010

Procrastination Gets the Best of Us



Are you familiar with procrastination in your life? I think most do to some point whether it is a chore need done or doing something that is uncomfortable for you but you know it is in your best interest. For addicts, that can be procrastinating seeking treatment.

On some days, my middles name can be procrastinator. The more difficult the task, if I haven’t received a good nights sleep or have a mountain of work to get done, the harder tasks I have a tendency to procrastinate doing. I have to come up with creative ways to conquer those tasks I am procrastinating. I will tell myself I will tackle a couple of the easier quicker task, then break down the harder task, and do it in portions. Two easy, one portion hard, until I have both the hard and the mountain of less daunting tasks completed.

Procrastinating can be so overwhelming for some though. Sometimes the things they are avoiding can overwhelm them to the point that depression can sink in. This of course compounds the problem. For a person in recovery, this can become even a more dangerous situation. It is important to learn ways to deal with those tasks that one does not want to address. It could be breaking the tasks down into bite size pieces like I do, or numerous other ways.

Check list work well for some. I am one of those people. I keep an on going list of things I need to accomplish both work and home. As I complete a task, I have to admit, it does feel good to cross it of the list. When I find myself repeatedly avoiding one of the task that is when I break it down and make deals with myself.

I would love to hear how you overcome those tasks that you would rather avoid.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I would have invented procrastination, but I hadn't got around to it yet! I so need that t-shirt. I'm the queen of procrastination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Mary, but I think my wife did invent it! She is a loving and giving person with a heart of gold but when it comes to getting things done, look out. We were married young and I really thought it would get better with age but it just hasn't happened. Are you telling me that there is help for her? Because if you are, tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a child, even through my teens, I was a procrastinator. After I got married and started having kids, I realized that things needed to change. Now, if anything, I'm the complete opposite. I can't rest is things aren't done. Still, I think I'd rather be the way I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine living that way. I want things done when they need to be done. I don't think I'm anal about it, but I know I'm not a procrastinator either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true, how true. I could wear that shirt and everyone that knows me would agree. It's a bad habit and I need to get over it but at 62 I really doubt there's enough time for that.

    ReplyDelete