Friday, April 23, 2010

The Draw to Smoke



As many as 30 to 50% of adolescents who smoke attribute their habit to seeing someone smoke on TV. When I read that statistic I took sometime to reflect back and think what was it that drew me to smoke my very first cigarette. Was it the common elements spoke of such as rebellion, curiosity, peer pressure, or TV? After doing some soul searching, it was none of the pre-mentioned elements at all, but rather watching my father smoke.

In a recent study done by Dartmouth University, after tracking 6,500 students from 5th grade through high school and beyond, reported that those who watched movies that featured actors that lit up on screen are three times more likely to start smoking. What was even more surprising was that group of kids were not your typical vulnerable population, thrill seekers, or even kids that come from households where the parents smoked, just your typical everyday student.

Children between the age of 10 to 14 are subjected to more than 600 scenes (T.V. and Film) a year of individuals smoking. That is twice as much as the exposure to smoking 20 years ago. I can’t recall scenes off T.V. or Films that made any impact on my choice to start smoking at a young age (12 to be exact) but that was over 34 years ago and now I guess I really don’t notice smoking in film or on T.V. because I already smoke. On occasion when I see someone smoking on T.V I will get an urge to smoke however. What I would really be curious to see though is some statistics on how many kids started smoking due to their parent(s) habit. Do you smoke? Can you recall what it was that drew you to smoking? What do you feel plays a larger role in youth starting smoking?


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. It wasn't seeing anyone smoking that drew me to it. It was the smell of cigarette smoke that hooked me. I was earning my own money babysitting and my parents both smoked. I was 12 when I started and I loved it from the first cigarette to the last. 17 years of mostly 2 packs a day. After watching my Dad die from lung cancer I decided it was time to quit. Unfortunately, it wasn't soon enough, I have emphysema. Today, people know what cigarettes can cause, what's their excuse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was during Ed Sullivan's show there were 2 gals, (actually 2 cigarette boxes with dancing legs) that really got me thinking about smoking. Everyone, everywhere, was smoking when I was growing up. It just seemed like a natural thing for me to do. No one even discouraged me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the only one in my circle of friends who didn't smoke. I felt like the odd man out so I started smoking too. I wish now I had not that I hadn't but I haven't had any success with quitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seemed like everyone was smoking when I was growing up. The movies and TV shows made it appear glamorous and when I turned 18 it just seemed natural that I would do it too. No one knew back then the trouble cigarettes would cause. I wonder why, knowing what they know today, people would still smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I was influenced by the ads on tv. They made the smokers the 'in crowd'. No doubt in my mind. If we hadn't had a tv, I don't think I would have started smoking, ever. That sounds good, but there's really no way to prove that. Just my gut feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles all smoked. I don't think I had a chance. I don't think it even ever occurred to me not to smoke. I don't remember ever considering if I would or not, I just did. Kind of sad to think I started something that detrimental without a second thought.

    ReplyDelete