Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Co-Dependents Anonymous

When you are dealing with anyone personally with an addiction problem, you are encouraged to attend Al-Anon, Nar-Anon, or CODA support groups. CoDA stands for Co-Dependents Anonymous — a fellowship of men and women whose common purpose is freedom from codependency and to develop healthy relationships. You may question or even deny you have a co-dependent personality. You may not, but here are some questions you should ask yourself to help you determine if a co-dependency group would be beneficial to you.

Ask yourself do you:

  • have difficulty identifying or explaining exactly how you are feeling?
  • minimize, alter, or deny how you truly feel when question by others?
  • have a hard time making decisions?
  • over judge everything you do, think or say harshly?
  • feel as everything you do is never “good enough”?
  • value others’ approval over your own in how you think, feel, or act?
    appease others to avoid rejection and/or anger?
  • stay in unhealthy or unsafe situations too long?
  • use sex to gain approval, acceptance and/or love?

If you answered yes to three or more of these, you may be a co-dependent. By attending a CODA support group, you will receive much support and insight to your own co-dependency.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. If you live with a person who is addicted, you need help. I've been a member of CODA for 3 years now. I can't begin to tell you how important it is to the quality of my life. Think you can do it on your own? You can't, and there's no reason to even try when there is help nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess being married to an addict qualifies as dealing with one. He got into rehab and kept clean for a year and I thought he had it beat so I married him. It didn't take long for him to slip back into old habits. I'm married for life and if I hope to have one I need to stick with CODA. He cleaned up once, I have to believe he can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined Al-Anon when I was still in high school. I didn't want to end up like my parents and I needed someone to tell me that I didn't have to. I didn't have a very good self image at that time but now I'm a doctor's assistant and lead a very full and productive life. I don't know that I would have made it without the support I so desparately needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I'm afraid I answered yes to a good many of those questions. That's pretty scary. I thought my life was under control but now I have to question that. Guess I need some help after all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've become more knowledgeable about co-dependancy than I ever dreamed I would be. It took a major accident to wake me up to the fact that I was becoming a part of the problem and not the answer that I thought I was. CoDA has helped me tremendously and I'm in for the long haul. I may become the answer for my husband yet, but not until I help myself first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined CODA after my sister called to tell me about it. I had never heard of the group, but I sure know about it now. They have made a positive difference in my life and I'm forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete