Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Medications used to Ease Withdrawal Symptoms

When using a medical setting or supervision by medical professionals, when going through detox of a controlled substance, medical professional’s can administer medications to ease withdrawal symptoms. Some of the medications used to ease withdrawal symptoms are some of the very same drugs being abused on the streets and the reason some are seeking help.

For example, alcohol withdrawal is treated with long-acting benzodiazepines (Valium or Librium). Heroin addiction is treated with buprenorphine (Buprenex, Suboxone, and Subutex), Clonidine, methadone, and ReVia (naltrexone). Methadone and Suboxone are increasingly being abused on the streets, especially amongst the population of addicts with addictions to pain medications.
Barbiturate or benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms are being treated with phenobarbital (Solfoton, Luminal) or chlorpromazine hydrochloride, or with a "step-down" approach of using reduced amounts of the sedatives themselves.

Amphetamine withdrawal is sometimes treated with reboxetine (Edronax, Vestra) to help ease any withdrawal symptoms. Treatment for stimulant withdrawal includes Valium and antidepressant medications such as Norpramin (desipramine).

Although some of the same drugs that brought on addictions are being used to help a patient work through the withdrawal symptoms, it is being administered by a medical professional and being monitored. The patient is tapered off the drug safely as the withdrawal symptoms begin to dissipate. No one should try to administer there own thought to be therapeutic dose of any drug to help ease withdrawal symptoms unless advised by a medical professional. When working with a Meth clinic to work through an addiction, make sure to have a loved one hold your medication if you are not required to go in daily to receive your dosage. Make sure you have a strong support system. If not, consider seeking in-patient addiction treatment care.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. I was shocked when I first read that but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes. The withdrawal symptoms can be pretty severe without anything to relieve them. Heck, you'd have to knock someone totally out if you were expecting them to go cold turkey. I guess I should put my brain in gear before I start running my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember from my college days that the cure for the morning after hangover was 'some hair of the dog that bit you'. That's sort of along the same lines as using the drug to lessen withdrawal symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for whatever makes recovery easier. Withdrawal is tough work and I think if the person is willing to quit they should get all of the help they can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in a rehab clinic and I can tell you that those people need something to help them through withdrawal. I'm only the janitor, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see how they suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I checked into the rehab clinic I knew it wouldn't be a picnic and I wasn't disappointed. I would have taken anything they gave me (and did) to ease my suffering. I don't ever want to have to go through that again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought all meth clinics required you to check in for your daily dosage. I know the one I went to was that way. I'm not sure I could have handled it otherwise.

    ReplyDelete