Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

Before recovery time was something wasted; wasted on how one was going to catch their next high, living the life of an addict. Because of this, many people in recovery try as the might to make up for that lost time, make up for the birthdays and other significant events in their life lost or a loved ones life. We make promises and commitments in all good intentions that in reality we don’t have the time or energy to fulfill. We don’t want to miss out in anything that we let pass by in our life because we were to busy getting high.

Although we may not be able to move mountains yet, we can focus on what we can do. It is not how much we get done in a day as much as it is the quality of what we do succeed. Focus on your daily responsibilities’ and only schedule in what is reasonable. Make sure you allow time for meetings and reflection. While attending your daily responsibilities, make sure you do so with a kind heart and leave resentment at the door. In time, as you strengthen your commitment to recovery your stamina will become much more enduring. After all, by entering into recovery and working the plan you have already climbed one of the biggest mountains you will ever climb in your life.

Repeat to yourself when feeling stretched thin on time:
“I will get done everything I really need to do today if I focus on being kind to the women and men who cross my path.”

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

3 comments:

  1. Wasted days and wasted nights could be the name of my life. I hesitate to call those days life since I don't even remember most of it. I'm a recovering addict and I hope I don't waste another day of what I have left. I've lost so much, and none of it is recoverable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasted days are not confined to addicts, that's for sure. I'm sure everyone suffers from a feeling of lost time during their lives. I know I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much of our lives are wasted. I don't know anyone who doesn't wish they had done something different. Why is it that hindsight is so accurate but we hardly ever have the foresight to do it right the first time?

    ReplyDelete