Friday, January 1, 2010

Start the New Year out Right.. Find the Power in Yourself

You have achieved an all important goal by defeating your addiction. You may have had help, but never forget that it would not have happened at all without your commitment and hard work. You are to be applauded for your success. Recovery is what remains ahead of you. For most, it will take the rest of their lives.

You have inner strengths and abilities that will aid in your recovery process. Willpower is the inner strength that will carry you through the hard times and propel you to success and achievement of your life goals. If you think that willpower is something that only belongs to successful people, you need to rethink that right now. We all have willpower, but it does not work by itself. We have to jump start it and nurture it in order for it to work for us. It can be developed within us, just like any other skill.

It is likely that your willpower, or lack of willpower, played a part when you were falling prey to your addiction. You lacked the inner strength to say ‘no’. It’s no secret where that lack of strength ended. Willpower can be developed and can help you overcome such things as laziness, procrastination, low self-esteem, weakness in body mind and soul and lack of self-control to name just a few.

It is your right to develop this ability and your privilege to live a life enhanced by it. This is not a process that requires more than you have to work with. You won’t have to perform any super human feats such as sleeping on a bed of nails, major fasting or suffering of any type. You just have to make up your mind that you want to increase your willpower. With training and exercising of your willpower, you will find yourself empowered by strength, courage and assertiveness. As it grows you will find it easier to get rid of undesirable habits and attitudes that stand in the way of a successful life at home, at your jobs and in your relationships.

Good habits can be formed in as little as 30 days. The repetitive reinforcement of those 30 days will become an effortless part of your life. There are many books and web sites devoted to developing your willpower. Find one that you feel will work for you and get started on your way to a brighter future. If you have used this method in your recovery or have ideas that have worked for you, please share them with us. If you know someone locked in an addiction, let them know that A Better Tomorrow can help them find their way back. All it takes is one phone call. Let them know that they deserve the chance.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. My willpower could use a complete overhaul. I won't bore you with the list but I believe you had me in mind when you wrote this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been blessed with an abundance of willpower. That's probably why I ended up in the mess I was in. I never thought about the fact that it was something that needed to be worked at. I figured you either had it or you didn't. Not a very smart assumption. I was selling myself short without even realizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been a recovering addict for 14 months now. Willpower is something I continue to work on. I have found that I'm a much stronger person than I ever thought I was capable of being. I continue to discover new things about myself just about every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a tough thing to do but I am working hard on it. I do want this to be the last time I have to deal with rehab. It takes so much out of me, I have to fight to build myself back up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still looking for that power. I wonder why will power comes so easy to some and others, like me, have to work so terribly hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laziness, low self esteem and lack of willpower describe me pretty well. I'm not that person anymore. I have worked hard to make sure of that.

    ReplyDelete