Thursday, January 28, 2010

How to Support a Family Member in Rehab

Addiction affects all those that are exposed to the addict and is more often than not hit hardest on family members. When you play a role in getting a family member into rehab, you will experience a multitude of feelings. This can be extremely overwhelming and at times hard to keep in check.

If you have found yourself in the position of supporting a family member in rehab there are some important things to keep in mind at all times.

First off, any family member affected by another’s addiction should seek help themselves to understand the addiction and work through how it has effected their life. However, outside of that, some other important factors must be followed.

When your loved one is admitted into a rehabilitation center for addiction, it is important to not break the rules. They will be discussed with you in detail as well as given to you in written form. If a rule demands that you do not bring in even chewing gum to your family member, do not do it. The rules are there for the best interest of your family member; not to punish or torture them. Even if you do not like the rules or disagree with them, remember always, it is in the best interest of your family member and others in rehab.

In the beginning, visitation may be restricted, however, when it is allowed visit when you can, if it is the right thing for you and the therapist working with your family member advises.

Often time’s therapist will invite you to partake in family sessions. These can be invaluable to both you and your family member in rehab. Participate openly and honestly during these sessions. Do not minimize the situation as not to hurt your family members feeling or to cause an upset. This is the time to make sure your feelings are also heard honestly and will play a large role in your family members’ acceptance of the depth of their addiction as well as help work towards their recovery.

Honor your family members’ privacy. If they choose not to share with others on the outside their location, keep it private unless they give you permission otherwise.

Before bringing anything into the facility talk to the staff and ask what is appropriate for your family member in regards to gifts, magazines, etc.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. My son was in rehab and was asking us if he could come back home. Frankly, I was afraid to even think about it. We went to the family sessions and were able to work through that fear. That was over a year ago now. He did move back home and just moved into his own place last week. I'm glad we made the decision to attend the classes. They helped us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The family sessions were very informative and in the long run were a big help to us all. I almost didn't attend, I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got a lot out of the family sessions. I started going to a therapist myself after that. It's been a great help to both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear that. I must have bailed my brother out of jail a dozen times just to keep my parents from finding out about his problems. I knew I shouldn't do it and yet I couldn't help it. Now, I see that I was just making the problem worse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The restricted visitation was hard for me. I know it was better for her but that didn't make it easier. I suspect recovery is going to be like that too. I've been an enabler and it's not something I'm proud of. I realize now that it will require changes on my part as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think 2 of the best things you can do are to let them know they are loved, and that you believe in them. I know because I've been there and done that.

    ReplyDelete