Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Twelve Step Promises

The Twelve Step Promises plays a significant role in ones recovery and something that should be reflected upon frequently, regardless of how long you have been “clean”. Just as one may have to reflect on an owners’ manual to help path the way in repairing something, the same goes with the Twelve Step Promises. If you have not reflected on them lately, take the time to do so today. There is no time like the present.

The Twelve Step Promises

If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.

We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows.

Self-seeking will slip away.

Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.

Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us.

We will intuitively know how to handle situations, which used to baffle us.

We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

"Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us - sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.” (AA Handbook, p 83-84)

What have you done lately to work towards to keeping or making these promises? Have you made necessary changes needed to obtain these promises?

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. Those 12 steps saved my life and gave me a future. It took me a while to really believe that, but it did happen. I'll be part of the program for the rest of my life and hopefully I'll be able to help others find the joy of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those promises by heart now. Sometimes they just run through my head like the words of a song. I don't mind though. They brought me through a pretty ugly period in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that the 12 promises are in addition to the 12 steps of the program. My husband just recently joined AA and I'm learning right along with him. I figured the best way to support him is to know what he is going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a friend who recently joined AA. I was at his apartment for dinner with a few friends and had to laugh when I saw the promises taped to the wall in front of the toilet. His comment made sense, he reads them every day. He has them taped to the wall beside his bed too. I'm glad he feels so strongly about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This did not come easy for me at first. Once I got a feel for the positive benefits I was getting, it got easier. I've been living the 12 steps and promises for several years now and they have brought me peace at last.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the 12 promises burned on my brain. I run through them by rote several times a day. It's positive enforcement that I need. Sometimes that's all that gets me through the day.

    ReplyDelete