Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dealing with the Past Vs. Present Trust Issues

In the past, before recovery, everyone who cared about you and even some that didn’t had their own thoughts on your ability to make wise choices for your life. They had just cause to distrust your abilities in that fashion, after all, you were hurting if not killing yourself with your addiction as well as others. So it pretty much goes without saying that when you were chasing the high you did have problems making wise choices for yourself and others in your life. Your addiction in a sense had all of your senses blinded. You were not always capable of making healthy or wise decisions for yourself, family, or friends.

But somewhere along the way you were presented with a decision that you made, recovery – that first step to getting healthy. It may have been a forced or made decision for you, but that next decision in your life that you made, the one to commit to your recovery after you had been through detox – that decision was yours and yours alone. Moreover, the decision each day you rise and every minute afterwards to remain true to your recovery is yours and yours all alone. The stronger you get in your recovery, the healthier you are in making solid wise and healthy decisions in your life. So now you find yourself asking why others cannot se that you are capable of making healthy and wise decisions now that you are no longer chasing the high of your addiction. You may be feeling beat down due to others asking you to prove you are capable to be given the trust to even make the smallest of decisions for others (this especially crops up when there are children involved).

Remember, addictions do not just afflict the user, but everyone around them as well. Those that have been affected by your addiction also need to seek consul on their own feelings and work through them.

Tell yourself daily when you are feeling as if you are not trustworthy that you have nothing to prove to anyone except for yourself. Tell yourself “I am thoughtful, responsible, strong, confident, and courageous.” Continue to make healthy and wise decisions for yourself and your actions will speak far louder than words.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

4 comments:

  1. My son has ran the gamut of drugs, from experimentation to addiction to treatment and hopefully back. I find it exceedingly hard to trust him. He was a good liar, maybe because I wanted to believe in him. Now, I don't trust him or my judgement when it comes to him. It will take a long while before we reach that stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One inconsequential act can destroy trust that has taken years to build up. Unfortunately, it will take years to earn it back. The lesson is, don't do anything stupid in the first place. I know that's easier said than done, but its not impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most people don't realize how important trust is until they lose it. They always wish they could go back and do it over again, swearing they would do it differently. I have to wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friends have mostly written me off and I don't blame them a bit. I don't hold out much hope that they will ever forgive me. My family on the other hand, I want to make the connection work again. I want them to see and understand where I've been and how far I've come. I want to earn their trust in me back. I know it will take some time but I'm willing to keep on trying. I hope they are as committed to that as I am.

    ReplyDelete