Monday, January 4, 2010

The Stages of Recovery

There are very definite stages to recovery. Some of them you may have already gone through. It’s always a good idea to know where you have been, where you are heading and the steps you utilized to pass from one to the other.

The first step, of course, is realizing that you have a problem with addiction. The addictive behavior is ongoing at this time, but someone or something has made it clear to you that you need to quit. At this point you have moved from denying that you have a problem to a willingness of acknowledging your addiction.

Next is an honest look at yourself and those around you and admitting the impact that your addiction has on everyone. You will need to admit the realities of your addiction and take a cursory look at what recovery would mean.

This next step starts with a clear resolution from you to quit the addiction. This is the time that you will take a hard look at what you will be facing including abstinence, moderation, treatment and recovery. This is an active move towards stopping the addiction and starting treatment of some kind.

Changes in perspective, lifestyle, attitude and values come into play at this point. This is your entry into full recovery. It may be shaky ground and you may still feel fragile, but this is where the beginning of your new life will start. Skills will be learned, habits will be formed, behaviors will be developed, and relationships will be built and all of these will help you maintain a life free from addiction.

Everything from here on out is active recovery. For many, this stage will have no end or at least none in the near future. Your commitment is essential. Now you are living out all that you have learned from the first day of quitting your addiction. One of your life goals is to remain addiction free. Surrounding yourself with family and friends, who are willing to help, will be a major plus for you. If you know someone who is still struggling with their addiction, let them know that help is as close as the nearest phone. A Better Tomorrow is waiting for that call. Use what you have learned to help them make that decision.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. I'm just getting to the point of realizing that recovery is a life long process. I figured I could go back to my old life in moderation but I was just kidding myself. I'm on the straight and narrow now and look to you to help keep me there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been out of the treatment center for almost a month. It's still kind of scary since I don't know what to expect but I'm taking it a day at a time and I'm hopeful that I won't be doing much backsliding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm waiting for a ride to take me to the treatment center. It's not my first trip there but I am hoping and praying it will be my last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in active recovery now. I'm sad to say I had to go through some of those early steps more than once but I feel like I'm in it now for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just left the rehab facility for the 3rd time. I guess I'm a slow learner. I think I got it this time though. Each time it was harder to stop and get help. I'm afraid if it happens again I won't be able to quit at all. That's not the way I want to live, or die.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still in the rehab center but will be leaving in a few days. I'm scared silly but I'm determined to make it work. Thanks for all the helpful tips and guidance, I can really use it all!

    ReplyDelete