Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Patience is a Vertue

During your recovery process, you may find yourself short in patience with yourself and others. You may expect things to happen more quickly then they are and find yourself frustrated by the process at times. These are normal emotions to have however, your response to these emotions are crucial to your sobriety. Pre-recovery, when faced with strong emotions, the first thing one did was to drown them in their drug of choice. What the recovery process is trying to teach you is healthy ways to deal or cope with the strong feelings you will have along the way and throughout your life in general.

It is important for you to learn to have patience with all things but even more so with yourself. You have to keep the faith and the courage to follow through, accepting your imperfections and setting plans to fix the ones that hold you back. Each day is anew, new challenges, and new gains. You have heard the saying “change doesn’t happen overnight” and in recovery, change can be ever going. The best changes start with a single thought and then active support and forward movement from then on, one-step at a time, one day at a time.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. Patience is a virtue and I pray for it often. Sometimes my prayer is short and sweet like "Lord give me patience, and I need it right now!" I know the Lord has a sense of humor and my prayer is only half in jest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did get involved with drugs because it was easier than facing my problems. I know I am not a patient person. It was a problem when I was young too. I've worked hard to overcome it but to be honest it still sneaks in every once in a while, but I am a work in progress so there is still hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is in short supply for everyone these days. Our world moves so quickly that we all get caught up in the whirlwind and get snappy when everyone else doesn't keep up. At times like this I tell myself to back up and take a deep breath. It does help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Mare, that is too funny! That is one of the prayers I find myself uttering all to often. The other is "Lord, please save me from my children!" It really helps to be able to laugh at yourself. It's a tension releaser that can help keep your patience intact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking we can all use more patience. I know I sure can. I like your prayers Beth, I will be using them myself from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that the older I get the more patience I seem to have. I'm not in such a hurry anymore and I can take the time to really listen and try to hear what others are saying to me.

    ReplyDelete