Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Warning signs are there ~ Relapse

If you have a friend or loved one who is in recovery, relapse is a real issue and a common thing. Many stumble along their recovery road but along those stumbles there are warning signs there.

There is a period of time during recovery where a person will feel impending dread, dread that they will no longer be able to experience that euphoric high once experienced while in their addiction. They may feel like all of the positive thinking they had done in their early recovery wasn’t a reflection on their true feelings towards sobriety, as if they are lying to themselves when they say they are grateful for their new found clean and sober life.

When these feelings come on, it can be very overwhelming and last for many days. The recovering addict may isolate themselves from anyone and everyone who may very well been the same people who could help them through these feelings. This can be their biggest mistake and a huge step towards relapse.

When you begin to believe that no one else could possibly understand how you are feeling and don’t reach out and ask for help – relapse is just seconds away. When you notice a loved one or friend in recovery beginning to pull away, stop attending support meetings, isolating themselves, that is when it is even more important to pull them back in. For the person in recovery – force yourself no matter how uncomfortable it feels at first, to reach out for help. It is the times when you don’t feel like you need anyone else that are the most important times to surround your self with others. Every day a person in recovery can face struggles making a strong support network essential in a healthy recovery.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. My husband went throuhg more than period when he tried to isolate himself from me because those feelings were overwelming him. I didn't let him. I forced him to talk to me and I told him it's either me or the therapist. Thankfully, he was always able to talk to one of us and it's getting much better now. I love your site, keep up the great work. We need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've stood beside my brother through his addiction, his treatment and now through his recovery. There have been times when he tried to push me away, but I don't let him. I've gotten right in his face more than once to goad him into confiding in me. That's what twins do for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relapse is a possible reality. Sometimes you can see the signs and sometimes the recovering addict is good at hiding them, especially if this isn't the first relapse. I blamed myself for a long time, but not any more. I'm not a mind reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am recoverin from my 3rd relapse. I'm hoping that the 3rd time is the charm. I think I've finally learned my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I relapsed, I felt like a total failure. I was sure that I was doomed to a life of drugs. I was relieved when I found out that relapses were fairly common. I checked myself in again and the second chance was all I needed. I've been clean for almost 5 years. If you fail, try, try again.

    ReplyDelete