Monday, June 14, 2010

The Fork In The Road



When you reach a fork in the road, are faced with a decision or life situation that is either new to you or uncomfortable to you, do you run and hide or deal with the situation? You may do as you have always done in the past, run and hide with from the situation – live in denial, but is that really healthy? Does it solve anything, or does it just make matters worse? Your past experience will tell you it only makes matters worse.

Rather than run and hide or deny there is even a problem, if you have been in through a good treatment recovery center you can use the life skills and coping skills that you were taught to get through those trying times or when you come to a fork in the road to know a safe direction to proceed.

Since you are no longer using mood-altering substances you are going to find that living in denial of a situation is not as easy as it once was. There is nothing to fall back on to numb those feelings of anxiety, guilt, etc. There is no safe alternative escape other than dealing with situations that come your way. When you actually decide to face what you fear, you will begin to heal yourself. You will know there is no need for your previous addictive behavior patterns. Although your addictive behaviors are the ones that are second nature to you now, the more you work on dealing with life the more your improved behaviors will be the ones that happen without thought.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

7 comments:

  1. I have done both. I resist dealing with it at first. Eventually, I face it and deal with it. Then I wonder why I didn't just do it and get it over with in the first place. I'm embarrassed to say that I've done this over and over my entire life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a true fork in the road. I love picture puzzles and off the wall humor. Thanks for the laugh. Like most drug users, I denied my using was a problem and assured everyone that I 'had it under control.' I was the last one to realize I didn't. When my wife threatened to leave and take my boys with her, I checked into rehab. That was 2 years ago and so far, so good. We have a 2 month old daughter and I need my family. The thought of losing any of them was stronger than my addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to believe that everyone is going to resist, at least at first. Human nature dictates change of any kind is not easy. Dealing with an addiction can seem to be insurmountable. It may take the person time to realize that others have done it, and they can do it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will avoid it as long as possible. I hate change of any kind. I'm sure I'm not alone in this, not that it makes it any better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the majority would avoid it, at least initially. Not many can deal with change easilly and some not at all. My first instinct is to put it on the back burner and think about it. Change is not comfortable for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New situations, I can usually handle but I don't do real well when it comes to changing old habits. So I guess I would have to say 50/50 on the question.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are many forks in the road of life and if you don't face them head on, you're wasting life potential. Eventually, you'll have to tackle the challenge, it won't usually just go away.

    ReplyDelete