Thursday, June 17, 2010

Online Recovery Support Groups

When your circle of support is limited, or access to them is upon schedules, it is great to have another outlet – another form of contact to be able to reach out at any hour. Online support groups is a great way to broaden your support of your recovery.

For some in recovery it is hard to express exactly what they are going through with someone who has never dealt with an addiction personally. Support groups are based on that fact that others there have the “been there done that” knowledge making it a great outlet for others in recovery. Online support groups work on the same basis. The key is finding those that are supported and or moderated by people who know what they are talking about with the “been there done that and am here to help, listen etc.” Not only are online support groups great for reaching out, but also for being able to give solid advice to someone who is struggling with addiction or a part of recovery that you have already gone through. However, keep in mind that others in the online support group as well as your self are not experts but do have valuable information that can help.

Another really good thing is just like at an NA or AA meeting people who are really struggling are sharing with you and it drives home the fact that you never want to be in that position again. It can be that reminder of where you were compared to where you are at today. Recovering addicts need to never forget just how bad we can get.

When your outlets are limited, you may want to consider joining a online support group so no matter what time of day, you can find someone who can relate or help someone struggling.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

7 comments:

  1. Since I live in a remote small town I only go to a support group twice a week. The other days, I still need help but it's impossible for me to make the trip into town. I don't have a computer, but my neighbor does. He lets me get on and chat in an online support group. I also have a couple of numbers I can call at other times of the day. It's easy to do, you just have to want the help and figure out what works best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't walk and I don't drive so I have to depend on someone else for all of my transportation needs. There is no bus and there is no taxi. The town just can't support either. Without my online support group, I'd have nothing. I do get into the doctor once a month, but that's it. It's been a life saver for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The on-line recovery groups serve a good purpose but I think it needs to be used as a filler or emergency only. An addict needs to be in a group with other people where physical contact, if needed or wanted, is available. Hugs are marvelous therapy as I can well attest to. You need to be able to look them in the eye and they need that too. It validates what you all have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On-line support groups are ok if that's the only support you can get or if it's off hours and you need immediate support. It does serve a good purpose but don't rely on it 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first left the treatment center I knew I would have to find a support group. I know myself, and I was certain that I wouldn't be able to jump right in with a group, look them in the eye and admit my drug problem. It may have been cowardly of me, but I started with an online group and graduated to a local group. It may not work for everyone, but it did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to think that any kind of support, no matter where it came from, can only be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best thing about on-line support groups is that they are available at almost any time of the day or night. There are times that you need to connect with someone who will understand, regardless of the time of day.

    ReplyDelete