Monday, June 7, 2010

Problem Gambling

Problem gambling, clinically known as “ludomania”, is an urge to gamble despite the harmful consequences it can have or desire to quit. Gambling is considered a problem when by the action of gambling causes harm to the gambler or others. There are two distinct levels of gambling issues – pathological gambling and gambling addiction. Pathological gambling is considered to be an impulse control disorder therefore does not fit the criteria for the American Psychological Association for addiction.

Diagnosis of gambling addiction has to meet at least 5 or more of the following symptoms:
1. Preoccupation. The subject has frequent thoughts about gambling experiences, whether past, future, or fantasy.
2. Tolerance. As with drug tolerance, the subject requires larger or more frequent wagers to experience the same "rush".
3. Withdrawal. Restlessness or irritability associated with attempts to cease or reduce gambling.
4. Escape. The subject gambles to improve mood or escape problems.
5. Chasing. The subject tries to win back gambling losses with more gambling.
6. Lying. The subject tries to hide the extent of his or her gambling by lying to family, friends, or therapists.
7. Loss of control. The person has unsuccessfully attempted to reduce gambling.
8. Illegal acts. The person has broken the law in order to obtain gambling money or recover gambling losses. This may include acts of theft, embezzlement, fraud, or forgery.
9. Risked significant relationship. The person gambles despite risking or losing a relationship, job, or other significant opportunity.
10. Bailout. The person turns to family, friends, or another third party for financial assistance as a result of gambling.

The Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery stated after various research findings that pathological gambling is similar to that of chemical addiction. Reseearch has shown that some pathological gamblers have lower levels of norepinephrine than normal gamblers. Norepinephrine is secreted under stress, arousal, or thrill, so pathological gamblers gamble to make up for their under-dosage. In a study done by the Harvard Medical School Division on Addictions, when a gambler wins a monetary award the brain activity is similar to that of a cocaine addict getting a fix.

Most treatment for problem gambling involves counseling, step-based programs, self-help, peer-support, medication, or a combination of these. However, no one treatment is considered to be 100% successful and no medications have been approved for the treatment of pathological gambling by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

Gamblers Anonymous (GA) is a commonly used treatment for gambling problems. Modeled after Alcoholics Anonymous, GA uses a 12-step model that emphasizes a mutual-support approach.

One form of counseling, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) has been shown to reduce symptoms and gambling-related urges. This type of therapy focuses on the identification of gambling-related thought processes, mood and cognitive distortions that increase one’s vulnerability to out-of-control gambling, and utilizes skill-building techniques geared toward relapse prevention, assertiveness and gambling refusal, problem solving and reinforcement of gambling-inconsistent activities and interests.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

7 comments:

  1. When my son was in his early 20's he gambled away his entire check several times. When bills did not get paid, he got evicted. When that happened he went for help. Thankfully, he was able to get it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband likes to gamble but thankfully it hasn't caused any problems. His Dad was a gambler and it always caused problems. He would stay away for days at a time after he got paid and his wife was forced to work just to keep a roof over their heads. He didn't see it as a problem, which is why she eventually left him. I'm concerned that it might get to that point but my husband assures me that his gambling does not get out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've watched people, who obviously don't have a lot of money, scrape together their change to buy lotto tickets. There are probably those who don't feel that this is gambling but since it is a game of chance, I don't know what else it would be called. They would have been better off spending those few dollars on food or clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wondered about people who take 3 and 4, or more, trips a year to Las Vegas. That can't be healthy either. Most people don't make that kind of money. I hear people talking about going to the boats. They seems to have popped up all of the US. You generally don't have to travel more than an hour or two to reach one. I worked too hard for my money to just hand it over like that. It's called a 'gamble' for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through a period where I had a problem with gambling. Payday would come and I wouldn't go home until it was all gone and then some. I got evicted and lost my job before I went for help. It's not a problem any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I've read the list and my husband has at least 4 of the signs. There may be more that I'm not aware of. I do know that if our marriage is going to last he has to get some help. I can't imagine that it could get worse but I know it can. I'm going to talk to him tonight as soon as he gets home from work. Maybe I should have said if he gets home, today was payday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a friend who has a gambling problem. He called recently and asked me to take over his finances. Deposit his check, pay bills, or any other duties if it involves the handling of money. We've been doing it for a month and so far it's been working okay. I know it's not easy for him and to tell the truth it's not easy for me either. But, I'm willing to try if it can help him kick the habit. He's going for counseling too and having someone else manage the money was his idea. I hope it works, I've missed spending time with my friend.

    ReplyDelete