Tuesday, June 22, 2010

See it, Believe It

Quiet some time ago, I recall an episode of “Rosanne” where Jackie (Rosanne’s younger sister) attended a self-help seminar that was titled something like “See It, Believe It”. (Feel free to correct my wording if you have also seen it and recall it. I believe it had to be in season one.. that was back in 88 I believe!) Anyhow, the theory behind the seminar was that if a person imagines something, they can become it by simply seeing themselves doing it, saying it, and they will become it. Recovery is similar in that is some instance (times when you would rather close down) that if you simply act as if you could do something that made you uncomfortable and do it, that eventually any fear you had will eventually subside and you would be fine with whatever task was at hand. For example, if you are nervous speaking at an AA or a NA meeting, simply act as if you are not and do it, and eventually you will be fine with it.

Some may say this is faking self-confidence, but how else can one build it unless they take the first step. Acting as if you can and doing so is merely a tool to help start the process of building ones self-confidence. Eventually you will start to see that those things that made you uncomfortable before no longer make you uncomfortable. You will begin seeing the positive changes in yourself and with that your self confidence naturally builds. The more self-confidence builds, the more you can tackle and the stronger you become in your recovery. So if you have to act as if to get the job done initially, do it! In time, it will be natural.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. Self confidence is not something you are born with, or magically 'get' when you reach a certain age. It is something you work at, constantly. Once you have it, if you don't work to keep it, you can destroy it. I might also add it's not something you wish for and get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Faking it might work for some people, but it never worked for me. Persistence was what it took for me. The old adage try, try again was the best advice I ever received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing that but my recall is not so good so I can't say whether you are remembering right or not, but it sounds right. I hate putting myself into any position where people will judge me. I'm glad I don't have a problem with alcohol or drugs because I think it would be very hard for me to work in a group like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This might work for some, but it never did anything for me. I don't like being in crowds or having to talk to people I don't know. I am a shy person and very much a loner, but I don't think it's a problem.

    ReplyDelete