Thursday, May 6, 2010

What Is The Course Of Bipolar Disorder?

Mania and depression episodes are generally reoccurring throughout the lifetime of a person with bipolar with symptom free spells in between. However, approximately 1/3% of people inflicted with bipolar will have some residual symptoms and even a smaller percentage, even with treatment will experience chronic, unremitting symptoms.

Manic and depressive episodes can fluctuate between multiple episodes within a single week or even within a single day to nothing for several months. When properly treated, people with bipolar disorder can lead healthy and productive lives however without treatment the natural course of bipolar disorder worsens overtime with more frequent and more severe manic and depressive episodes.

Bipolar doesn’t play favorites. Men do not fall pray to this illness more than women and visa versa. It does not favor the rich over the poor, the well educate over the high school drop out. Although family genetics and history plays a role in one becoming afflicted with bi polar, it can also strike an individual with no history. There is no rhyme or reason, but it does not need to destroy your life. It can be treated effectively. Self-medicating with drugs or alcohol is not the answers nor will it help the mood swings. Seek treatment from a mental health provider or a physician. If you have already been self-medicating and think you may have bipolar, seek help. It can be treated and you can be on the road to a better tomorrow.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I've researched and found pretty much the same thing you came up with. I have to wonder why so many of them go off of their meds. It would seem that life with them would be better enough that they wouldn't want to stop. I guess there are probably side effects to the drugs, maybe that's the reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my daughter had episodes that were measured by weeks instead of days, I'd probably be able to handle it better. If she would take her medicine consistently I know she would do better. That's the real struggle. She doesn't think that she needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was constant high's and low's. I had no idea that there could be symptom free intervals. That seems really strange to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe my youngest brother may be bi-polar but his psychiatrist has told my parents that they don't diagnose the disease until they reach adult age. I don't understand why that is. He displays all of the symptoms regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know that the disease would continue to worsen if left untreated. I've been trying to get help for my son since I realized that the mood swings were probably causing the drug problem and not the other way around. I read your article on intervention. I'm desparate and even willing to try that. Thank you for all the advice and encouragement I find on your site.

    ReplyDelete