Monday, May 24, 2010

Pets during Recovery

How many people in recovery have discovered that having a pet can greatly help keep them from rseelap? I am going to guess that the percentage is high. Pets love unconditionally yet they do still require a certain level of commitment from their master. They require to be fed and tended to on a regular basis, things that are great for someone in recovery.

It is a known fact that even just petting a dog or a cat can calm someone or make a person feel far less lonely. These things help reduce triggers for a person in recovery. Do you own a pet and are in recovery? How has your pet improved your recovery? What type of pet do you have? Please share your experience with owning a pet while working your recovery.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I have a dog. He's my constant companion when I'm home. He follows me from room to room, sits when I sit, lays down when I go to bed, up with me no matter what time it is. I think he knows how much I need to be with someone and that someone is my friend and dog, Jake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the medical field has finally gotten the picture that having a pet, particularly a dog, is good for all kinds of ailments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I left the rehab center one of the things I was told was to get a pet. I was skeptical because I had never had a dog and I couldn't imagine how that would help. I took their advice, thinking that if it didn't work out, I would give it away. I can't begin to tell you how much of a positive difference that little dog has made in my life. It's the first time I've ever felt total acceptance and I know he depends solely on me for his well being. These are new feelings and I find that I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animals love you just because you're you. It doesn't take much on your part for them to be devoted to you. They accept you as you are and never ask for more than what you are willing to give. What more could you ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a basic need that a pet can fill that nothing or no one else can. When I gave up the booze, I brought home a pup from the shelter. I talked to him when things started to get to me. I swear he looked me right in the eye and I could feel the love he had for me. That dog made recovery easier for me. Now, 3 years dry, that dog is my best friend.

    ReplyDelete