Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Staying in an Unhealthy Relationship in Treatment and Recovery.

Many people in treatment may find out that the person they were involved during their time of use was not healthy and will break off that relationship. That is a positive move in recovery. However, some, even knowing the relationship was not a healthy one may hang on to the relationship. Some do so because they fear they will not find another, others do thinking that after treatment the relationship will change. If the partner also used or is still currently using, they may think that their recovery will encourage the other to seek treatment and they will live happily ever after in recovery. In some cases this does happen, however, if they do not reach out while you are still in treatment for their own treatment, going back to that situation is only a huge danger zone to your recovery. It simply isn’t worth the risk. Some stay out of fear of being lonely. While in treatment, you should discuss these things with your therapist. Make sure, if you are staying in a relationship that could jeopardize your treatment that it is seriously worth the risk.

The dynamics of your relationship prior to recovery plays a huge role in what is or was a healthy relationship. Just because your partner was clean of drugs and alcohol abuse or addiction while you were the sole user doesn’t always mean it is a healthy relationship. The person is more than likely co-dependent and in the very least should see counseling to learn how to live with a person in recovery, visit their possible co-dependency, and deal with that.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I can sure understand why they would be reluctant to give up an old relationship even if it was a bad one. They are at a point where they've given up their drug or alcohol habit and they are having to make a lot of adjustments in their lives. There is some comfort in a long standing relationship, even if there were problems. I think that's true of everyone. The addiction just complicates it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent 11 years in a bad relationship. I knew it wouldn't last, but I was still reluctant to end it. I know it's crazy, and I don't know why, but that's how it was. Things have improved in all aspects of my life since I made the break. I don't know why it took me so long, but I'm glad I left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have had a serious drug or alcohol problem, chances are your significant other was involved in it, in some way. It's rare that a relationship that was not healthy can repair itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's me and I'm not sure I understand myself why I don't break it off. I threaten to all the time but I never follow through. I think it's partly that I don't want to be by myself. That's pretty silly now that I put it in writing, because I'm by myself most of the time anyway. I guess there are worse things than being by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was ready to leave the treatment facility I attended several group therapy sessions and was surprised at the number of people who said they were splitting with their significant others. After thinking about it, I tend to agree with them. If I hadn't heard it, I may not have even considered it.

    ReplyDelete