Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dealing with Bi-Polar



Bipolar is a long-term illness, one that cannot be cured. However, even though episodes of mania and depression naturally come and go, it is important to understand that by staying on treatment, even during well times, can help keep the disease under control and reduce the chance of having recurrent, worsening episodes. With someone who is being effectively treated for bi-polar who is in recovery, stopping treatment for the disease can lead to a relapse of the addiction.

Anyone with bipolar disorder should be under the care of a psychiatrist skilled in the diagnosis and treatment of this disease. Other mental health professionals, such as psychologists and psychiatric social workers, can assist in providing the person and family with additional approaches to treatment. Staying firm with your recovery and having a strong support system will also help with mania episodes and decrease the risks of relapse. It is important that those who are in your inner most support circle know of your diagnosis of bipolar so they can educate themselves to be better able to help you if you do experience any manic mood swings and encourage you to check with your doctor to see if your medications need altering.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. I've been dating a guy I work with for about 6 months. I just found out that he is bipolar. I had no idea. He said he wanted me to know before things went any farther. I appreciate his honesty. I intend to keep seeing him. I'm not sure where we will end up but if it keeps on track we'll most likely be married in a year or so. I'm a little concerned about having children, and so is he. There's a lot to work through, but we're going to give it our best shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accepting all parts of ones self, good and bad, is tough. I know I'm not the only one who deals with this issue, but I'm not sure that makes it any easier either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work in a doctor's office as a receptionist and I've had contact with several people who are bipolar. It's a devastating disease and these people are often their own worst enemies. It's very sad and my heart goes out to them and to their families, as they are the ones who generally take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the saying at the beginning of this blog. Most people have something about themselves that they don't like. Some people don't like anything about themselves. I think it's those people who turn to alcohol and drugs. There are things about me that I don't care for, but I'm trying to change them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many things you have to deal with when the person you are involved with is bipolar. You have to be a pretty strong person to deal with it all. I wasn't able to. I still love Rachel very much, but I just couldn't deal with it on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete