Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Stimulants

Stimulants or psycho-stimulants are psychoactive drugs. They cause temporary improvements in mental functions and/or physical functions. They have been abused as performance enhancers and as recreational ‘highs’. As performance enhancers they suppress appetite to facilitate weight loss, increase wakefulness and movement, enhance alertness and increase focus and attention. The euphoric effects of stimulants usually occur when they are crushed and then snorted or injected. Because the effects of stimulants have an “up” quality to them they are sometimes referred to as uppers. Stimulants are widely used throughout the world as prescription medicines and as illegal substances of recreational abuse.

Stimulants enhance the activity of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Common effects, which can differ depending on the substance, may include alertness, awareness, wakefulness, endurance, productivity and motivation; increased arousal, movement, body temperature, heart rate and blood pressure; and give the false feeling that you don’t need food and sleep, which can lead to malnutrition. While many stimulants are capable of improving mood and relieving anxiety, many are also capable of causing anxiety.

Repeated use of stimulants can make a person experience feelings of hostility and paranoia. When taken in high doses they can lead to serious cardiovascular complications including stroke. Addiction is a possibility for anyone taking them without medical supervision. With chronic use you may see withdrawal symptoms including fatigue, depression and disturbed sleep patterns, when the drugs are discontinued.

In a nationwide survey in 2008 it was indicated that 1.6% of 8th graders, 2.9% of 10th graders and 3.4% of 12th graders admitted to nonmedical use of Ritalin. While these numbers are down slightly from previous years, it is still an alarming number who admit to use of the drug.

Addiction knows no age. If you are experiencing problems with stimulants, we can help you break that habit. Call A Better Tomorrow, today, for you or for someone you love.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. I was taking a stimulant to help me lose weight. It made me so jittery that I decided the weight was less important than I thought. I can't imagine taking this type of drug for fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like jittery. Sometimes it can't be helped but taking drugs to feel like that? I don't think so. These people need to find a way to get high on life and leave the drugs alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy Leigh? Most people with drug problems didn't set out to get that way. It happens. It happened to me. I was just trying to get through my last year of law school. It was tough and I had to cram. I didn't have time for sleep. By the time I did, I couldn't do without the drugs. My Dad talked me into a treatment center. I've been clean since then and I believe it was enough to keep me out of trouble in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if I was tempted to try something I would be concerned about paranoia. That just totally freaks me out. I think it would be really scary too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My weight control medication from my doctor made me feel like my blood was on a race track. My hands were shaky and I felt really light headed. I threw the pills away and started another diet, this time under the supervision of a nutrionalist. No more drugs like that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have kids entering middle school next year and I'm very concerned about what they may be exposed to. We talk about drugs and how to say know and have since they were very young. I hope it's enough to keep them safe.

    ReplyDelete