Monday, October 12, 2009

Abuse of ADHD Medications


Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, is a real problem for some. People with ADHD often think and act differently. Their attention span is short because they get distracted easily. They may feel bored for no reason, say or do whatever is on their mind without thinking, lose things or interrupt when others are talking. Because of these symptoms, they are likely to have trouble in school, even college. You may look at these symptoms and imagine that they refer to kids, teens and young adults in general, but they do not. Persons with ADHD are not able to control the severe symptoms in any setting.

There are medicines that help improve the ADHD symptoms, helping individuals to concentrate and focus better. Methylphenidate drugs in pill form include Concerta, Ritalin LA, Focalin XR and Metadate CD. It’s also available in a patch called Daytrana. These drugs affect chemical signals in the central nervous system. Research suggests it increases the level of neurotransmitters in the brain called dopamine and norepinephrine. The neurotransmitters are chemicals that help in sending messages between nerve cells in the brain.

When these medications are used under a doctor’s care, for the purpose they were intended, and at the recommended dosage, they are safe and effective. If they are taken by someone who does not need them and/or taken at higher doses, these stimulants can cause some serious health problems. Long term, high dosage use can result in increased heart rate and blood pressure, tremors, changes in mood, confusion, paranoia, hallucinations, delusions and irregular breathing. Overdosing can cause very high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, seizures, uncontrolled movements, sweating, dry mouth and eyes, and vomiting.

These medications can become addictive when abused. There was some belief that those who use these medications for the treatment of ADHD may be more likely to abuse other substances such as alcohol or drugs, but just the opposite has been demonstrated. Those who take their ADHD medications according to the doctor’s prescription do not become addicted to them.

If you, or someone you know, is suffering from addiction to one of these stimulants, help is as near as your phone. Call A Better Tomorrow and get the help you need to find the road to recovery.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

7 comments:

  1. My daughter takes Concerta and I usually have to fight her to get her to take it. This is something that I was not aware of. I used to leave the bottle of pills sitting on the shelf in the kitchen. From now on I will be keeping it locked up and giving it to her a dose at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of abuse of this drug by college kids but never thought about the younger kids. I need to smarten up about drugs as my twins will be starting middle school next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sons best friend takes Ritalin for ADHD. He spent the night recently and instead of sending just 1 pill, his mom sent the whole bottle. He's 14, and while he is a good kid I think that's putting temptation in his way. I know I wouldn't allow my son to carry around a botttle of 30 pills that is high on the abuse list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 16 year old is taking Concerta. She told me the other day that several kids at school have been trying to talk her into selling her noon time dose. I'm glad she's talking to me about it instead of listening to them. I think she realizes that her grades would suffer if she skipped that dose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a sophomore at our junior college who died from an overdose of Ritalin. Such of waste of life. There were so many young people at the funeral, I hope they were all paying attention to the eulogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son takes Ritalin in the morning and also takes an afternoon dose. Since he's in middle school, I was letting him carry the 2nd dose. His class grades in the afternoon were not as well as the ones in the morning. He told me he was taking it so I just figured the classes were harder. My daughter came home last week and told me that one of her friends had confessed to her that she had been buying her brothers 2nd dose. Now, I go to the school and give it to him and watch him swallow it. It's a bear, but it will keep him out of trouble for selling drugs and will hopefully keep his grades up too. You just never really know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of young people take this drug. It makes me wonder if they all really need it or if they take it so their parents won't have to deal with them. Whatever the reason, it's used way too much!

    ReplyDelete