Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Common Reasons People Turn to Drug Use


There is no good reason to take drugs illegally but there are reasons that make people think it might be an alternative for them. The world can be a scary place. The fast pace of life in general, the pressures we deal with on a daily basis and perceived dangers of everyday life are enough to put the most stalwart person on edge. The threat of international terrorism only added to the mix.

It’s no wonder that there are people looking for an instant escape from reality. In earlier times, about the only escape available was found in a bottle of alcohol. Today’s desire for instant escape has drug manufacturers scrambling to come up with better and faster acting chemical cures for anxiety and insomnia. There are dozens of new drugs to tranquilize us, making our problems appear trivial, at least for a while.

Anxiety is a psychological (mental) and physiological (mechanical, physical and biochemical) state that is characterized by cognitive (process of thought), somatic (cells of the body), emotional (feelings and thoughts) and behavioral (actions or reactions) components. Together they combine to create an unpleasant feeling that can be described as uneasiness, fear, or worry. Anxiety is simply a mood condition that occurs without an identifiable triggering stimulus. It’s actually just short of fear. The main difference is we know what we fear and why we fear it.

Insomnia is not a diagnosis or a disease, it is a symptom. By definition, insomnia is “difficulty initiating or maintaining sleep, or both.” There are several sleep disorders but they can generally be diagnosed and treated. Insomnia is typically followed by a period of functional impairment while awake. Some insomnia can be caused by a lack of exercise. Our minds are tired because they worked all day. Sitting at a desk does not make our bodies tired. A brisk walk, a run or another form of exercise may make it easier to fall asleep, without the use of drugs. More than 60 million Americans regularly suffer from insomnia every year and it is more common in women.

Downers are generally used to treat these two conditions and downers are the most prescribed and abused drugs in the US and Canada. If you, or a loved one, suffer from this addiction, get help now. A Better Tomorrow can show you how to escape the habit, and how to deal with life drug free. Make the call, we’re waiting.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

11 comments:

  1. I'm 36 and still scared straight to get up in front of a group and talk. It's part of my job and has been for 12 years. Some times are harder than others, but even on my best days, I'm totally stressed out. I've thought several times about taking something to calm myself down but I never did. It's good to know that I'm not alone with this problem. I wonder if it will ever just go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how I felt in school, even college, when I had to get up and talk. It was frightening. I don't have to do anything like that at work. I may have to participate in a meeting but we're all sitting at a table. I remember considering drugs. I'm glad that I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life sucks sometimes. Anyone who thinks any different is setting themselves up for failure. No wonder people feel like they need to escape reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Marilyn, I guess it does but that's a pretty negative comment. I bet you see the glass as half empty. I, on the other hand, see it as half full. That may be splitting hairs but I don't think so. I hope your life gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get tired of life too but I don't go and stick a needle in my arm. It's sad to think that a one time bad choice can destroy a life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure everyone thinks about escaping reality at some time or another, but I'm sure glad the majority don't turn to drugs to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Mom had a hard time sleeping after my Dad died so the doctor prescribed sleeping pills. I noticed that she was taking more than what was prescribed so I called the doctor and he told me I should take them and bring her back in. I did, she doesn't need an addiction on top of a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have trouble sleeping occasionally. I just can't shut off my mind so I'm unable to go to sleep. On those nights it might be dawn before I go to sleep. I figure when my body is tired enough, I will sleep. The doctor offered to give me sleeping pills but I declined. They really scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anxiety and panic attacks have always plagued me. When I realized I was considering an illegal drug to battle it, I went to my doctor and had a long talk about my condition. I started seeing a therapist and am doing much better. I'm so glad I chose the higher road even though it was more uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been in situations that I wanted out of bad enough that I would have done just about anything to be free. Drugs are not my thing though. The thought of ending it all did pass through my head more than once. I'm not sure that's any better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate to draw attention to myself. I've learned to blend in to my surroundings and ward people off. I'm lucky I've never gotten involved with any type of drugs. I think I have that type of personality that if I even tried them, it would become a problem.

    ReplyDelete