Thursday, October 8, 2009

Knowledge is Protection

I’m sure you have all heard the saying, “I didn’t know the gun was loaded.” Just the other day I overheard a teen say, I didn’t know all drugs were bad for you. With that statement in mind, there are things everyone should know and understand about drugs, both legal and illegal.

Cigarettes and alcohol are considered drugs. While they are both legal, neither of them is healthy. Light to moderate drinking may be acceptable for adults, but smoking and excessive drinking are not healthy for adults and not only are they not healthy, they are off limits for kids.

While illegal drugs are not good for anyone they are especially bad for teens and pre-teens because their bodies are still developing. Drugs can damage the brain and heart. Other organs can be affected to lesser degrees. Cocaine can cause a heart attack, even in a child.

People who use drugs almost always have a reason why they do it. The thing is, no matter what reason you use to try to escape reality, that reason will still be there after you use the drug. It will not go away, and you need to find a safe way to deal with it. The escape only lasts as long as the effect of the drug. This will not solve the problem and it may even create more.

Addiction is a possibility. Casual drug use often leads to addiction. You take a stimulant drug to get hyped or energized. You take a depressant to slow yourself down. It’s a cycle that some people live with. Hallucinogens change your mood and may make you see, hear or think things that aren’t really there. Inhalants are sniffed or huffed to produce an immediate rush, followed by sleepiness, staggering, dizziness and confusion. Narcotics dull the body’s senses, and relieve pain.

Know the terminology, the drugs and what they do, the symptoms of abuse, and the danger to your mind and body. If you know and understand all of these things there is less of a chance that you will be tempted to try them in the first place. But if you do, and you find yourself in trouble, please know that there is help available to you. A Better Tomorrow knows what you are going through. They understand and they can help. Don’t be afraid to make the call, they are waiting for you.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, some people don't care if they are bad for you or not. I don't understand people who still smoke. It's legal, but proven harmful at best and often fatal. Maybe they are suffering from the delusion that it will not happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of reasons in my time, but never a plausible one. I work in an ER and see the horror of drugs all to often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know about this and I do agree that knowledge is protection. I want to know what's out there and what it can do. I don't trust anyone to know what's best for me, that's my job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I would be educating myself about drugs since I never used them, but I have kids and I really feel this is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that. If you don't know and understand a subject like this, you are putting yourself in danger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may not always protect, but at least the chance is there. I know some people don't care but I believe there are a lot more who do.

    ReplyDelete