Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What is Addiction Recovery?

Addiction Recovery is far more than not using your drug of choice any longer or any kind of mood altering substance. It has to be your way of life. It is a healing of your addictive behaviors and thinking and growing with knowledge about how to deal with life’s situations differently than you had in the past. It is about being healthy in all aspects of your life, emotionally, physically and spiritually. It is a never-ending journey, but a good one – not dreaded as life was in the past. Recover will always be your work in progress.

Addiction recovery is about human development. When an addiction begins, human growth becomes stunted. Your addiction led you to make numerous bad decisions for your life. Recovery is about learning and making the right decisions, the decisions that enhance your life rather than ones that are detrimental.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining that. I'm a recovering addict and most people think that since I've completed rehab at the center and I am no longer using, that my troubles are over. If they only knew, they are actually just starting. I have to retrain my mind, body and emotions to live without drugs. It is a process that most likely will last for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm living that 'work in progress'. At first I thought if I only quit using, everything else would fall into place. Was I naive? Absolutely. Now, after 4 years, I know recovery will be a life long process. I have accepted that and I feel much better about the future, and the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless it is approached as a life change, it won't work. It took my quite a while to accept that fact. I tried changing only what I wanted to change and it was OK for a while and then I would start to slip. Accept it, it has to be a new you, totally, for it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recovery is a work in progress and most likely will never be a done deal. I've accepted that and my life has improved immensely. I start every day expecting the best from myself and I usually get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a different road for everyone who travels it. There are certain mile markers everyone will pass. It's a lifelong process, slips will happen. Get past them and get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recovery is a way of life change. Any part of it that you think can remain the same will only slow down the total recovery. You are being given another chance to be born again. Clean up your act, be the person you always wanted to be. That's the true road to success.

    ReplyDelete