Thursday, February 4, 2010

Matt S. Sharing his Road to Recovery Through Thanks



ABT received a wonderful letter from a former client, Matt S. Matt has allowed us to share his letter and story here in hopes it may inspire another to reach out and get the help they need.

Good morning! I was a client at ABT from Dec 7, 2009 to Jan 5, 2010. I would have liked to stay longer, but due to insurance and financial reasons, there just was no way I was able to. This was an amazing experience that I will never forget.
Though there were good days and bad, coming out to ABT, from Indiana, taught me about patience and tolerance of others. It allowed me to learn more about the tools/techniques that is helping me in my recovery. It will be 60 days on February 5, which I have been clean and sober. This time around has been a little easier, because I finally became honest/open about myself and have fully admitted I am powerless over drugs/alcohol and my life has become unmanageable.


People need to learn not to look at the differences, but the similarities of each other. We all have a disease of addiction and go through the same program. Now it is up to each person, whether they are committed to wanting the help and accepting themselves for whom they are. They can only make that ultimate decision.

I am so grateful for the entire staff at ABT and want to say THANK YOU! There are a few individuals that I would like to recognize, who had helped me get through the times during my stay and allowed me to share how I was feeling and not judge.

Kim/Counselor-Kim was my individual counselor and I was blessed to have her. She shared her experience, strength and hope, which allowed me to open up to her. She always carried a smile, which brought so much joy to my life. She would be patient and listen to my needs. She helped me work on my individual needs and guided me in setting up a relapse prevention technique, which has allowed me to be open/honest with myself and others. I am so grateful to have been in her presence. She is truly an inspiration in my life and will be to others.

Brian/Therapist-Brian was my individual therapist during my stay. Brian always opened the door whenever I needed to talk to him. He helped me get in touch with myself and really try to figure out what was hurting me so badly. He allowed me to share things that I have never shared before. He was not there to judge, but to be a sounding board and someone who could help guide me in getting more in touch w/ myself. Thank you Brian for all that you have done.

Kathleen/Interim-Kathleen is full of passion, caringness, love and dedication to what she does and others. She was like a mother to all the clients that go through ABT. There was never a day that she did not approach each individual and ask how they were doing, also offering a hug. Kathleen shared her experience, strength and hope in our sessions, which touched my life in more ways than she knows. ABT is so blessed to have her w/ them. It’s not about the money for her, but it is about giving back and helping others. She is an angel in my eyes and I will always cherish her.

Sorry for rambling on, but I feel we go to long in life without telling others how GRATEFUL we are for them in our lives and for what we have. THANK YOU all at ABT for the dedication, encouragement, love and compassion you give to each individual. Keep doing what you are doing, because it does work!
Have a WONDERFUL Tuesday!
Matthew S.


Matt (age 32) came to ABT from Indiana after struggling with drugs/alcohol for many years. Matt had been in treatment before and was able to maintain 7 months of recovery. However, dealing with every day life and not working a rigorous program, Matt went back out to test the waters once again resulting in his relapse. After a few months, it took Matt down a path of agony and despair and Matt had lost all self-worth. Matt stated “When I awoke on Thursday Dec 4, I picked up the phone and reached out for help. After several hours of research and phone calls, I felt an immediate connection w/ ABT, which I feel, my Higher Power, who I chose to call GOD, led me to them.”

Matt’s first contact with alcohol was at the age of 20 and first contact with drugs was at the age of 23. Matt’s drug of choice was Crystal Meth and has been clean since Dec 5, 2009. Matt now has a sponsor and works a rigorous program on a daily basis. Matt says, “I keep myself connected with positive people, attend meetings on a regular basis and make sure I keep plugged in to the program. It does work, if you work it. You must be willing and able to completely surrender. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help. You can do it, if you put your mind to it.”


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did a lot of soul searching there. I've been trying to get clean on my own, but it's not working so well. I've been to a treatment center before and I hated it. Maybe I just chose the wrong facility. I am going to check this one out. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Artie! I think all treatment centers have their good and bad areas. However, it all comes down to this questions, "Are you willing and ready to completely surrender?" Remember that you are doing this for yourself. If you try and keep a positive attitude, staying focuses and willing to go to any length, it will work for you. I still have my rough days, but I do have to say, that I am having more good days than bad. It is a scary journey, but remember that you are NOT ALONE. You can do this Artie. There are people who have faith in you, even if you don't feel like you have faith in yourself.
    All treatment facilities are going to have people who do not want to be there at all. Remember you don't have to surround yourself by those negative individuals.
    YOU CAN DO IT! I wish you all the best of luck Artie!

    Matt S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a strong person to admit their faults and share their deepest, darkest secrets. Hopefully, it will help save someone else from going down the same path.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Matt, for having the courage and conviction to share your story with others. Not everyone is strong enough to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thanks to you Matt for sharing your story. It turned out to be just the incentive I needed to seek help for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt said...

    Thank you all for the heart warming comments. If I am able to help just 1 individual, it would be the biggest blessing in my life that my Higher Power could give me.
    It took a long time for me to get to the point of asking for help and being able to be open/honest with others. Remember that we are not alone. There are others who know what we have been and are going through.
    It's ok to reach out for help!
    Keep positive, head high and stay focused. Good things do come true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos Matt for baring your soul in such an unselfish manner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was very nice Corina. Hope you are doing well. There have been to many times where I did not express myself well enough. I was given another chance and if I am able to give another person hope, than I have done my job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had your guts. Most people still don't know how bad my drug problem is. I know I need to get help, and I will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darryl,

    It's never to late man. You just have to be willing and ready. You are the only one that can answer that one. It's never to late. I would at least give ABT a call and speak with someone. I wish you the best of luck. Remember it's One Day At A Time. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete