Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Road to Recovery

It would be nice to think that everyone who enters into a treatment facility does so for on main purpose, to seek help in stopping whatever compulsive behavior they are presenting with – drinking, drugs, gambling, eating, sex, shopping, etc. There are many forms of addiction and each has there own negative consequences. However, not all that enter the doors of an addiction treatment facility do so by their own choice for the main purpose of recovery. Some are forced into treatment through court proceedings while others may be forced through pressure by friends and family. Some do so as a substitute for a jail or prison term or for a reduction in time for a incarceration. Some of that percentage will complete an addiction program successfully, some won’t.

When you come to the realization on your own that you no longer have control over your addiction, rather it controls you, admit you have a problem, and admit you cannot fix it without help, you have made the first step in your road to recovery.

Along the way on your road to recovery you will experience many ups and downs but one thing that recovery offers while in treatment is that you have all the support you need to get through the hard times, unlike when you were on your own. Addiction on the other hand offers nothing but downs. There are no upsides in the road of addiction. Although you may struggle from time to time during your recovery, the struggles will be nothing compared to those you had with addiction and when those bumps are crossed there are many many many upsides in your life.

When you are in recovery, sometimes it can be discouraging when you hit a rocky patch. Remind yourself of the rocky life you had before with no upsides. Remember that it is just a patch in the road and nothing you cannot overcome. After all, the hardest part of your recovery was admitting you had a problem and asking for help. When you hit a rough spot or a bump along the way, reach out to those in your support circle, your sponsor, or a group and that bump will become much more manageable and you will soon find yourself on the other side.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I used to tell myself and everyone else who would listen that I could quit anytime I wanted to. My wife said to me one day, 'prove it.' I guess I don't have to tell you it didn't work that way. That's when I realized I had to get help or lose my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wondered if people who are sent to treatment by the courts actually stay clean. I always thought it needed to be self motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a slow learner. I've been through treatment 3 times and I'm still using occasionally. I know it's dangerous but I just can't seem to help myself. I need to stay away from some of my long time friends and I swear to myself that I'm going to and then I find myself right back with them. I guess I'm weak too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jenna, that was my immediate thought too. I guess if the courts sent them, they would continue to monitor them. Probably a jail sentence hanging over their head to keep them clean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who was sent to rehab by the court. I've been looking around the web trying to find out percentages of successes and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I don't think it's going to work, in fact my friend told me it was a waste of time. I wish someone could get through to her before it's too late.

    ReplyDelete