Monday, February 15, 2010

How to Avoid Second Round Addiction

Second hand addiction is a substitute addiction that some pick up when they are in recovery. Common second hand addictions are over eating, anorexia, bulimia, exercise, gambling, spending, and work. The difficult part of these types of addictions is some may not really appear as an addiction such as work and exercise and thought socially acceptable. Some may not even realize they are replacing one addiction with another or do so under the guise of being a necessity, not an addiction.

So how does one know if they are substituting one addiction for another? Start by first being honest with yourself and ask yourself if new behavior is escalating. What purpose is it serving? Is it distracting you from feeling – masking feelings such as fear, loneliness, anxiety, anger, inadequacy? Is the time being used in the new behavior an excuse to not accept social invites or try new things?

Your addiction that led you to recovery had tattletale signs that marked it as an addiction. If you are feeling that your new behavior is your addiction disease immerging again in just a new form, you have picked up a second hand addiction.

Just like before recovery, when you had to own up to your addiction, you need to do so again. Say it aloud and tell someone else. Do not allow yourself to slip back into denial or minimize the problem. There is no shame in admitting that we have picked up a second hand addiction nor is it uncommon. However, what is important is that you do something about it when you realize that your new behavior is no longer a healthy one for you.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

7 comments:

  1. I would have questioned the validity of this information if I hadn't lived through it already. I actually had problems in 2 areas. I joined a fitness club and was going 2 and 3 times a day and then I started buying equipment for my home. It was very expensive and my wife finally put her foot down and returned everything that I bought. She also forced me to tell my counselor about the frequent gym visits. Everything is back to normal now thanks to my wife and counselor. So I know, it does happen, and there is help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just left the treatment center yesterday afternoon. I don't remember ever hearing of a second round addiction but I can sure see how that could happen. You need to find something to replace the drugs, alcohol, or both. If it was a big part of your life it would take a lot to fill in the time. Now that I know, I'll be careful not to fall into that pit! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand how that could happen. Addiction takes up so much of your life that you can be hard pressed to know how to live without it. I've seen it happen, and in some ways it is as hard to deal with as the original addiction was. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I got out of the treatment center I was at a loss as to what to do with my time. A friend was going to a gambling establishment and asked if I wanted to go too. To make a long story short, I won, I liked it and the next thing you know I'm spending every spare time and all of my money there. I finally realized that this was a major problem and I took it back to counseling. I've got that cleared up now and am watchful of things that may cause a similar problem. It's never easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the good thing about a second round addiction, if there is a good thing, is that it's not usually deadly. I understand it's not a good thing and not necessarilly healthy either. And I can certainly see how it can come about. The human mind is a wonderous thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went from drugs to hustling pool and on to other types of gambling. At first I didn't see that it was a problem but then, it seemed like it was all I wanted to do. I lost my job, my wife left me again. It was actually as bad or in some ways worse than the addiction. It's all under control again, for good I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happens frequently and I was one of those statistics. I turned into a shopaholic. It was ridiculous the things that I bought. Most of it, I didn't need and some of it, I didn't even want. I just couldn't seem to help myself. Thank God my sister finally discovered what I was doing and saw to it that I got the help I needed to get it under control. Thankfully, I was able to return much of what I had bought.

    ReplyDelete