Friday, February 12, 2010

Check and Balances during Recovery

Recovery is no picnic at times and face it, we don’t always live the most perfect structured lives. At times, it is imperative that we check in with ourselves by doing an honest assessment of our recovery and our lives in general. No one is perfect and is why it is so important to perform regular check and balances on our recovery. It keep us honest with ourselves and can be the point that saves you from a relapse.

The easiest way to do a check and balance on your recovery is to be honest with yourself. Don’t make excuses for negative behavior. Own it and move passed it.
You can make it as simple as just answering a few questions as honestly as possible or just kind of summarize your last week and seeing what you think you should be doing differently.

Questions you will want to ask yourself are:

Am I surrounding myself with positive people?
Am I facing my problems head on or burying them?
Am I living in the day rather than fixating on the past?
Am I actively practicing/pursuing my spirituality?
Am I practicing positive thinking?
Am I doing what is needed to avoid H.A.L.T.? (hunger, anxious, lonely, tired)
Am I attending support meetings?

By answering these questions on a regular basis you are better able to see what areas of your life might need a little more work and help to prevent relapse. It is not a way of punishing yourself for mistakes made, every one makes them, just a way of getting back on the right track.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I thought I was doing OK until I got to the checklist. Being honest with myself, maybe for the first time, I can see that I need more help. I really appreciate the hard line you draw for us. Apparently, some of us, like me, really need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you that I've been brutally honest with myself during my stay at the treatment center and now that I'm out. If you lie to yourself, and I know it happens, what are you gaining? Nothing, that's what. I went through a lot to get this far and I don't intend on going through all of that again. No way, no how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at the number of people who go through a drug treatment program and then come out and deny they had a problem. If they can't be honest with themselves, who can they be honest with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the list of questions. I'm using yours and have added several of my own. It shouldn't be, but it's hard sometimes, being honest with myself. I'm used to be very superficial with everyone, including myself and it's going to take some time to overcome that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keeping a journal is one of the best ways to keep a handle on how you are progressing. Since it's written, you can go back and compare to see how you are progressing. The checks and balances are there for you to track.

    ReplyDelete