Monday, February 1, 2010

Is there such a thing as moderation with a former addict?

Some people think that they can have a drink at a social event and it will be okay, after all it is just one drink and not like they intend on getting drunk in their mind. It may be just a single drink, but is it worth the risk of relapsing back to what you fought so hard to come out of?

It is not uncommon for a former addict to want to and even think they can use in moderation after recovery. Rumors tell us there are other former addicts that have been able to use in moderation and not wind back in to a full blown out addiction mode. Truth of the rumor is however, more have failed than not falling right back into their previous deadly lifestyle.

A.A and other 12-step programs stress more on the side of “Don’t risk your sobriety, it is not worth it” and define an alcoholic as a person who can never drink in moderation. Other programs are more lax on that. The important question that should be asked is – is it worth it? Is it worth the risk of throwing away all that you have gained? Is it worth risking what you are trying to rebuild? Is it worth the risk of your health?

You will hear arguments on both sides of this debate, some with some pretty impressive research, both having their own merits, but regardless of all the research in the world, nothing is more important than your path to a full and healthy life.

Only you know what exactly you put at risk if you pick up a drink. It could be your children, your family relationship, a marriage, your career, your heath, etc. If you can spit on those things and never look back, then go ahead and risk it. But is it really worth the chance?

When you are tempted to give it a try, think about how far you have come and what all you had lost due to your addiction. Nothing can be found at the bottom of the bottle.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. I can't talk about others, but I can tell you that it definitely didn't work for me. As soon as I got the 'taste' again, I was in over my head. I think it would be safer for all drug and alcohol abusers to tell themselves that there is no such thing as moderation. It's too risky to even entertain the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there are as many answers as there are users. For me, the answer is NO, NO, NO. Lord knows I tried but the word moderation is obviously not in my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is, my guess is that they are few and far between. If you got clean, I don't know why you would ever want to try it again. I know the process is a torturous one at best. I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought there was, but I was so wrong. Even when I was in the deepest, I still thought I was in control. Seems like I was the only one able to believe it. I was so out of it most of the time, I had no idea what was going on. Now that I'm clean I can see how ridiculous I really was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I told myself I could handle moderation but it turns out that it was a lie I told myself. It took 3 falls before I came to the realization that it was an all or nothing game for me. Now, it's nothing. I've been clean for 2 years and that's how I want it to be for the rest of my life. I've missed so much, I don't want to miss any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell you for sure that moderation is not something that works for me. Like most addicts, I thought I could control the use, but I couldn't, and I can't, and I never will be able to. I either use, or I'm clean. I want to stay clean.

    ReplyDelete