Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Triggers and their Detonator

Do you recognize all your triggers? If you are not familiar with that term, a trigger is something that compels you to use your drug of choice or behave in an additive manner. Remember, addiction comes in many forms, not just a bottle or a drug, but also gambling, shopping, sex, and so many more and as many different types of addictions there are, there are thousands upon thousands of possible triggers that can go with those addictions. Triggers are unique to the addict. Just because a certain trigger may make one-person use, doesn’t necessarily mean that same trigger will result in the same effect with another.

Triggers can be internal (feeling motivated) or external (a scent, action, item, etc). Some common triggers for many addicts on the internal factor are shame, boredom, anger, fear, loneliness, and frustration. Internal triggers are often harder to control than external. If a certain television program is known to be a trigger for you, you can stop the detonation of that trigger by simply not watching it however if loneliness is a trigger, it is not easily remedied.

Most addictions are an attempt to self-medicate a painful emotion away. “The more I use, the less I feel.” External triggers can be anything else under the sun and moon from family, financial problems, a phrase, a song, the smell of certain cologne; anything and everything specific to the addict that causes one to use.

It is important to be aware of your triggers in order to avoid them or understand them to counteract with a more productive response. Write a list of all the possible triggers that can affect your recovery. Share them with support people in your life. When you come upon a situation where a trigger is involved, recognize it as such, remove yourself from the situation, and use your support group to help you work past the power of your triggers. Remind yourself how far you have come and how you will not allow the trigger to have the power over you any longer.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. When I read about the trigger being a scent I was skeptical at first. Then I remembered that when I quit smoking I had to give up coffee too because every time I smelled the coffee, I wanted the cigarette. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I know all about triggers. I have several and every one of them leads me back to hell. I really need to get some help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Triggers are something that just about everyone can identify with. The possible exception would be a hermit. I'm sure that addictions have their own triggers and I really feel for people caught in that trap. I was lucky enough to have experimented some in my teens and walk away without ever going back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The more I use, the less I feel" sums it up nicely. I remember thinking that myself. By the time I went for treatment I wasn't feeling much and I was remembering even less. I consider myself lucky to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Internal triggers are nearly impossible to relinquish without some help from a professional. You might know what these triggers are but controlling them instead of them controlling you is a different story. I'm still working on some of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started the process of identifying my triggers. It's not as easy as you would think. I'm hoping it's an exercise that will help me to stay clean.

    ReplyDelete