Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Warning Signs Of Addiction

Did you know that detecting addiction is easier than treating addiction? If you are in recovery, then you do know this. If you are an addict and have heard stories of the process of recovery, you may know this as well. But do not let the process of addiction and the difficulty that the road may lead you on scare you from seeking help. Although treating addiction may be difficult, it is the most rewarding thing you will ever accomplish in your life. You will regain your life. A life that is healthy, happy, and fulfilling. The road of addiction is a non stop battle with no light at the end of the tunnel. The road to recovery there is a light that will shine through brightly.

Detecting addiction in yourself or a loved one is the first step to hopefully a life long recovery. The one common denominator regardless of what the “drug” is will be distinctive mood changes and visible appearance changes in the addict. (When I use the word “drug” in parentheses’ it is because the drug is not necessarily a substance, but it can be an activity as well such as gambling, sex, shopping, eating etc.) The most common warning sign is drastic mood swings appearing bipolar in nature ranging from happy at one moment to extremely agitated, sad, withdrawn, etc, the next moment.

Sleep habits can change to excessive sleep to getting by on hardly any sleep. The person may seem extremely driven at one moment trying to get a million things done at one time to where the next moment they can barely get out of bed little lone their home.

Changes in physical appearance is another signal to addiction. A person may have extreme weight gain or weight loss. They may stop attending to their physical appearance lacking in bathing, changing clothes, brushing teeth, hair, etc. Some drugs cause damage to the addict’s teeth, hair, and skin. Addicts that use needles will present with “tracks” needle runs, etc. Some drugs affect skin to the extent the addict may present with boil and sores on their skin. Sores on the skin may also be due to side effects of the drugs the addict is using causing itching or feelings of things crawling on the addict’s skin making them scratch excessively. Pupils of the eyes will also appear either dilated or constricted.

Other indicators of addiction are a loss of interest in previous loved hobbies or relationships, financial and legal issues, poor work performance and attendance, becoming verbally or violently hostile, or becoming socially isolated/recluse behavior.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

6 comments:

  1. A lot of these symptoms present with just depression. I really wasn't aware that they could signify drug use. I know I can count on learning all kinds of new things from your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teenage son has been acting really different lately. I've been wondering if he is involved in drugs. I think I would smell alcohol on his breath but I don't know if I would be able to tell about drug use. That's what brought me to your site. I'll be doing some more reading. Thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The warning signs were all there but I didn't put them all together. I made excuses for them individually. I lost my son. Maybe if I had found this site earlier our story would have had a different ending.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my best friend may be using drugs. He has all of the classic signs but he swears he is not. We've always been close and able to talk about everything, but lately he's shut me out. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I should talk to his parents. We're sophomores in high school and I don't want him screwing up the rest of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a substitute teacher for high school and junior college math classes. I rarely see the same students more than 2 or 3 times. I have made it my business to become aware of the signs of drug addiction. I like to think I help them on their lifes journey. If I can save even one young person from a life of drugs, I want to say I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the process of taking in teenage foster kids. They may or may not have drug problems, but I feel like I need to be on top of what to look for. This site has been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete