Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Types of Dependency

There are two basic types of dependency – physical and psychological. Depending on the type of symptoms one is exhibiting will determine the type of dependency they have.

Physical Dependency: Physical dependency presents when the substance being used causes changes in physical appearance during withdrawal. There is also the physical medical aspect – vomiting, pains, sweats, uncontrollable tremors, shakes, etc. Physical dependency usually stems from substance abuse such as alcohol, nicotine, amphetamines, opiates, etc.

Psychological Dependency: Psychological dependency is mentally and emotionally based. It causes effects to the mind such as depression, mood swings, and violent behavior. Gambling, self-mutilation, eating and sexual addictions have more of a psychological type of dependency on the addict.

With substance addiction, an addict will present with both physical and psychological dependency symptoms but will always present with physical.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

8 comments:

  1. I'm sure everyone's symptoms are different. I had less trouble with the physical dependancy and more with the psychological. Once my system was cleansed of the drugs I had to convince my mind that I no longer needed them. They were a way of life and had been for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Josh. My body was OK once the drugs were out of my system, but convincing my mind that I didn't need it anymore was something else. I still have urges, but I get a little stronger every day and haven't fallen back into the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is why drug addiction can be so hard to kick. It's not just what you are putting into your body, it's what also is going on in your mind. The two have to be in sync or the battle is lost before it's begun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting article. I have a son who is in a drug treatment center right now, so I'm doing all of the investigating that I can to be able to help him when he is released. There is so much to know and understand but I know he will do better with the right kind of support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen one present without the other. Some psychological symptoms may be more severe than others but I believe they are always there. I'm still in college but I've done some extensive research to come to this conclusion. I hope to apply all I've learned by becoming a therapist eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely had both and I'm not sure which one was harder to kick. The physical addiction was harder for a shorter period of time. The psychological was not nearly as painful but took considerably longer to get a handle on. It's a battle that needs to be fought for life. I'm holding on for now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I've been clean for a year, I still fight the psychological dependency. I can't seem to get it out of my head for any length of time. The doc tells me it will get better, and I think it is, but sometimes it all but consumes me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These two generally go hand in hand down the primrose lane. Recovery from one is often hampered by the other. Trying to overcome one without addressing both will never meet with success.

    ReplyDelete