Friday, March 5, 2010

Addiction Risks

Are you at risk of developing an addiction? Some people do have a higher risk of developing an addiction than others. There are four categories that can depict whether one has a predisposition to becoming an addict; physical, mental, emotional, and social.

Physical Factor: The physical factor is genetic. If there is a history of addiction in the family or a low tolerance to drugs, you have a higher risk of developing an addiction.
Mental Factor: If one already suffers from a mental disorder such as depression, bipolar, low self-esteem, etc raises the risks of developing an addiction.

Emotional Factor: The emotional factor has to deal with depressive circumstances. People who are in or have been raised under abusive situations raises the risk of developing an addiction.

Social Factor: The social factor comes into play when the person hangs out with a people to where drugs are easily assessable to them and/or used openly. Another fashion in where social factor comes into play is when one is dislocated from what they know, as in when one leaves off to college or relocated to a place unfamiliar to them.

Children raised in the state system of childcare have a large risk of developing addictions due to the varying factors that can come into play from one, to all four factors. However, having one or more of the noted factors that can lead to addiction just means they are more susceptible to addiction, not that they are predestined to become an addict. Many people have overcome great difficulties and disadvantages and have never developed an addiction.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. My fiance has 2 brother who are drug addicts. I'm marrying into this family and I'm concerned about the possibility of our kids not only being exposed to this but possibly inheriting something genetic that will predispose them to addiction later in life. He says I'm being silly for worrying about this, but I'm not convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The genetics factor is a roullette wheel and I was one of the lucky ones. My parents are both alcoholics and my brother is a drug using alcoholic. Me? I never touched any of it. Maybe that's the trick. I don't know what I'm missing, but I'm happy with that. That's something I know the rest of my family never is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 17 year old son who is bi-polar and will not take his meds. He also suffers from low self esteem and I believe he is depressed although he tells me he's not. I worry about him getting involved with illelegal drugs. He's in bad enough shape because he won't take the prescribed meds, I'm afraid for his safety if he gets addicted. I wish I knew what to do with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every sees that, except the addict. I always thought I was in total control of my drug use and was not aware of the horrible way I was living. I believed I could walk away from it whenever I decided I had had enough. It took an OD that I almost didn't recover from for me to admit to myself that I needed help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone has a potential risk. No one can say it will never happen to them. Circumstances change, temptations are always there and the will is weak. Remember, there, but for the grace of God, goes I.

    ReplyDelete