Monday, March 1, 2010

Overnight Addiction?

Addiction doesn’t just happen, rather it’s a series of things that happen that bring something to an addictive state. Addiction is an obsession or a compulsive physical and/or psychological dependency to anything if you rather. It is an unhealthy obsession to anything no matter if it is drugs, shopping, eating, etc.

The medical community considers one is addicted when the body starts to rely on a substance to function. When the drug or stimuli is no longer supplied to the body, withdrawal symptoms appear. The body then must go through the detox phase to reacquaint itself to be able to function normally again. Depending on the drug one is addicted to, the detox process has brought death. Addictions are no joke.

Addiction can come upon someone quickly or progress slowly over time and yes, overnight. The speed in which addiction occurs is usually tied to the level of euphoria gained from drug of choice. The higher the euphoria the more attractive the “drug” appears and faster one can become addicted. In some situations, the hunt for the “score” is more addictive than the actual high gained. When there is illegal or risky behavior involved in securing the “score” adrenaline is raised causing its own high drawing the addict in more than the addictive substance or activity.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. Meth could have been my death sentence and it nearly was. I was only going to try it once, but once turned into a nightmare that I nearly didn't wake up from. Thanks to a couple of my friends who literally abducted me and got me through withdrawal and then forced me to get psychiatric help. I used to laugh at the commericals that say not to try it even once, but I learned the hard way that it is no laughing matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think my addiction occurred over night but looking back on it I know it was a progressive use and abuse of drugs and alcohol that finally got me hooked. It's been a tough road coming back, but well worth it. I actually look forward to my future, where before I was contemplating ending my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad that the 'cure' is not as quick and easy as the addiction. Maybe there should be a high school class that takes teens to treatment centers, and known drug hangouts so they can see what drugs can do to them before they are tempted to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rome wasn't built in a day and most addictions don't happen that fast either. It's most often a gradual increase that eventually becomes an all consuming desire. Most people feel they have control of the situation, but by that time, it most likely has a lock on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to think my husband became addicted overnight, but after careful consideration I can look back and see it happened over a several month period. He was very good at hiding his problem, and to be really honest, I really didn't want to see it.

    ReplyDelete