Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Five Parts in the Cycle of Addiction

For the most part, it has been noted that an addict will go through five parts in the cycle of addiction. These parts can be repeated several times before an addict chooses to seek help for their addiction.

The first part in the cycle of addiction is the feeling of euphoria. This is the hook and what keeps the addict seeking more.

The second part in the cycle of addiction is the feeling of losing control. This is when an addict begins to feel they have lost control over the situation, that addiction has taken over and represents their life.

The third part in the cycle of addiction is craving. The craving is so strong leading the addict into the fourth part in the cycle of addiction.

The fourth part ion the cycle of addiction is the “score”. Getting the fix to curb the craving.

The fifth part in the cycle of addiction is the addicts feeling that their life has become predictable and repetitive. This is the part where the addict may reach out for help to make a change in their life. If the addict doesn’t reach out during this time, the cycle of addiction starts all over again as soon as any withdrawal symptoms appear. This is the critical part of addiction, the stage that can either end the cycle or reinforce it.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow Treatment Center today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ABTomorrow

7 comments:

  1. In my case the euphoria didn't last long, the craving took over really quick. My life was a viscious cycle of craving and fixing. It took me several years before I reached to point where I knew I had to get help or die. It's all behind me now, but I know a slip up is possible. I'm trying everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there is a natural progression to most maladies. Thanks for laying this one on the line. I work with teen and young adults so I try to keep up on sites such as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm writing a paper for school and found your site. It has been a big help. Thank you for providing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasted several years between the first and fifth steps. Thank God I came to my senses when I did. I had lost a lot but I was still alive. I knew it was time to get help with my addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 22 year old sister confided in me that she had used meth at a recent party she attended. I got really upset with her and she told me to but out. She said I should try it and see what happens. There is no way I'm going to touch it, but I'm afraid she might do it again. I wish I knew how to get to her. She has a child and he doesn't deserve a drug using mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember well the first 3 parts of my drug use cycle. The fourth is pretty much a blur. I almost didn't make it to the last stage. I stepped out in front of a bus that I thought was stopped and woke up 6 days later in the hospital with several broken bones and a severe head injury. I took that to be my wake up call. I wasn't going to have to be told twice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There may be 5 steps but I can tell you from experience the first 4 are a fast roller coaster ride. The time to reach the 5th varies from one individual to the next, but it does usually get there.

    ReplyDelete