Thursday, September 17, 2009

Who's Dealing These Days?


Can you identify a drug dealer? I think most everyone has some type of preconceived notion of what a drug dealer looks like. Do you think of a sly looking guy with a hooded sweat shirt covering his face, or at least keeping it in the shadows? Does he have long hair that looks like it needs a good washing? Is he covered with visible piercings and/or tattoos? Is he hanging around alley ways or in the door ways of abandoned buildings? Maybe some or all of these characteristics come to mind, and that is what you see most often in the movies.

Is it that easy in reality? Read on and see if you think it is. Would you believe that hundreds of drug dealers that are arrested every year are apprehended while they are attending school? Of this figure all are under the age of sixteen. Some of them are as young as nine years old. That would make them grade school children, possibly only in the fourth grade. These baby faced drug dealers are in our schools, dealing drugs to their friends between classes, during recess or lunch, and before or after school. They may have suppliers who are older and probably coaching them, but make no mistake about it; there are children who are drug dealers. Believe this, if there are children in our schools who are dealing drugs, there are probably ten times as many other children, who are buying them and who are using them. Some of those who are caught buying and or using drugs at school are dealt with by the school, often with the help of the child’s parents. That means that the numbers of reported arrests of these drug using children at school are deflated.

Make it your business to know your child’s friends and their families. Do no take for granted that your child is safe while they are visiting and playing with their friends, thinking that surely there is an adult supervising their activities. Talk to the parents of your children’s friends. Meet them and know exactly where they live. Talk to the teachers at the schools, become involved in your child’s life when they are away from you. Volunteer at the school, maybe as a hall monitor, a cafeteria monitor or a play ground supervisor. Talk to your children about drugs. Tell them what to say if they are approached and offered free or cheap drugs. If you don’t tell them about drugs, someone else would be more than happy to do it for you. It might just be one of his young friends.


If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

9 comments:

  1. Nine years old? I knew that some middle schools and virtually all high schools had drug problems. But grade schools, I had no idea. That thought leaves me speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is very disturbing. I have 2 children in grade school and I didn't think I had to worry about drugs for several years yet. I'm glad to know, so I can start working with them. At the same time, I'm sad to think that I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because we live in a small town, the kids from all grades, kindergarten through highschool, ride the same bus. The grade, middle and high school are all on the same lot. I always found it comforting that the older kids could watch over the younger ones. Now I need to consider that it may not be the safest way for my young children to get to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my sons friends, both are 11, was caught selling drugs at school. He was being paid with clothes and shoes instead of money. I was appalled to hear this. The boy comes from a good, but poor, family. Peer pressure is an awful thing sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been one of those parents who insisted that drugs couldn't happen in my family. I hope not but I now the possibility exists. But I never considered there were kids dealing drugs. Maybe because the thought was too scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult for me to imagine how someone as young as 9 or 10 can be involved in drug dealing without the parents being aware of what is going on. I would know if one of my kids had much money, new clothes, shoes or electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad it is that our children are so caught up in materialism that they are willing to sell drugs to get the things they want in life. What does that say about our society as a whole?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a son in 5th grade. He came home today and told me about a couple of high school kids who told him they would buy him a new pair of Forces is he would take a package to someone. He told them he had to get right home that day and took off running. We only live a block from the school. I called the police and they caught the two boys trying to get another child involved. I walk him to and from school now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a grade school a few blocks from my house and they always are doing something to advertise that the school is a drug free zone. I think it's great that they have started working with them at such a young age. Maybe it will make the difference for them. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete