Friday, September 25, 2009

The Truth about Functioning Alcoholics

Not all alcoholics are readily identifiable as such. The alcoholics who drink continuously until they pass out, then get up and repeat the process, are actually in the minority. These people are incapable of sustaining a job or a meaningful relationship. Their only motivation in life is their next drink.

Most alcoholics are functional to some degree. They are able to hold down a job and some are even able to pursue successful careers. You might even find some who serve on volunteer committees and appear, on the surface, to be the salt of the earth. Their public persona is totally intact. You don’t have to consume alcohol every day to be an alcoholic. Some people can stop for days, weeks and even months at a time. But when they do drink, they cannot control it once they start. When you look behind that facade you can begin to see the problems. Their roles as spouse, parent, driver or financial manager may not be so trouble free. A large number of functioning alcoholics suffer from some degree of denial. Because it is not an every day event, they feel like they are able to control it. Some are not even truly aware that their alcohol use is a problem. Typically, the more severe the addiction, the stronger the denial.

With alcoholism there is both a physical and a psychological dependence. Alcohol affects the body in several ways. It acts as a depressant to the central nervous system which results in a decrease of activity, anxiety, tension and inhibitions. It slows reaction time while impairing judgment and concentration. It irritates the gastrointestinal tract while eroding the stomach lining. Liver disease and cirrhosis will develop over time with continual use of alcohol and it can have negative effects on the cardiovascular system. Alcohol affects the nervous system and can result in degeneration and dementia. Chronic use increases the risk of cancer of the larynx, esophagus, liver and colon.

Several well known people have publicly acknowledged their alcoholism and got treatment before their lives were destroyed. Some of these better known recovering alcoholics include Betty Ford (wife of former president Gerald), Buzz Aldrin (astronaut), Elizabeth Taylor and Mary Tyler Moore (actresses), Robin Williams (actor), Keith Urban and Eric Clapton (singers), Joe Namath (football legend) and George W. Bush (former president). You are not alone, and help from A Better Tomorrow is as close as your phone.

If you need help, are struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

5 comments:

  1. I work with a guy who would fall into this category. He rarely misses work and is a very intelligent person. Or at least that's how he seemed. We had a company picnic last month and he brought his family. His wife was sporting a split lip and a black eye. The story was she fell down the steps but I think everyone knew what had happened. It's a shame really that he doesn't see that it's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad was an alcoholic and held down the same job for 25 years. He was not abusive as I know some can be. I guess the biggest complaint I had was that he was never there for me. I always got a hi and goodbye but not much more. As soon as he got home he grabbed 2 bottles of beer and headed for the tv. The first would be gone before he got to his chair and the second would last 5 or 10 minutes. After the first 2 either me or Mom kept the supply running until he passed out. Sometimes he went to bed or else he'd spend the night in the chair. 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, until the day he had a heart attack and died. He was only 50 years old but he looked 70.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My niece married a guy whose parents were both functioning alcoholics. His brother was an alcoholic but made no attempt at being functional. I guess growing up in that atmosphere turned him totally against drinking. He may have a glass of wine on New Years Eve but that's as far as it ever goes. His Mom, Dad and brother are all dead now. I'm so glad he chose the high road for his wife and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom was a functioning alcoholic. I never said anything to her because she thought she was hinding it, but I never invited my friends over. I would have been too embarrassed. She's dead now. I miss her, but I don't miss the drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading the articles on drugs thinking that I was pretty lucky not to have that problem. Then I came to this one. I've heard the term before, even heard it applied to me, but I didn't believe it. After reading this, I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete