Friday, September 11, 2009

Do you know where your teen is at?

More and more teen centered clubs are opening up in communities both small and large. The idea behind them at first were very honorable, and although there are still some of those teen clubs that are providing what they promised to deliver, more have gone far astray.

Initially, when the new late night teen clubs started to surface, the idea behind them was to provide a safe place for teens to “hang out” rather then be on the street finding mischief or worse. Kids over 19 were not allowed and supervision was provided. The “clubs” were housed with video games, couches, pool tables, music systems and most had a dance floor. They were a place for the teens to hangout for cheap on weekend nights and during the summer. Some during the summer were open to the youth throughout the day as well during the summer months. The concept was great, but it didn’t take long for corruption to find its way in.

Teen youth clubs might as well have a big ol’ “X” on it because it was an easy target for the less desirables looking to make a score and a huge profit – the drug dealers. If the dealers were not hanging out near by to entice the youth to enhance their “clubbing” experience, they were buying into the concept totally and opening their own “youth clubs.” It was fresh clientele for them, clientele that was very vulnerable. Many of the youth that frequent youth clubs do not have much guidance at home. The clubs were a cheap babysitter for parents that had other things on their agenda then spending time with their youth. Some parents put their trust into the concept and just thought of the youth clubs just a great place for their children to hang out with their friends.

For those clubs infiltrated with drugs and alcohol, both the inattentive and the attentive trusting parents found out the hard way that entrusting or just assuming a place is a safe place for their child to hang out can be dramatically opposite. In addition, sadly to say, it is not just the teen clubs that can have danger lurking within or near. Movie theaters, bowling alleys, pool halls, and video arcades are places that can be just as dangerous for teens in groups without supervision.

Supervision cannot be mistaken the same as employees or owners of these types of establishments. They have no real invested interest in your child other than the money your child brings to the establishment. Unless you know the owner/employee personally, supervision means a parent or relative of the youth that actually does have a stake in the child’s well being.

Prevention is the best gift you could ever give your youth. As a parent you should check on your child and make sure that the places they frequent are safe and in good standards. Know what is going on in your teen’s life. Not just what their grades are at school, but on a personal level as well.


If you suspect that your teenager is involved with drugs, get the facts, stay informed, know the risks, and seek help.

If you need help, struggling with an addiction, or know of someone who is, please contact A Better Tomorrow today. We are here to help.
http://www.abttc.net/
Phone: 800.971.1586
Fax: 800.401.8464
24 Hour Addiction HelpLine
Tel. (800) 396-9389 (7 days 24 hours)
e-mail: info@24houraddictionhelp.com
http://www.24houraddictionhelp.org/

Feel free to follow us on Facebook and Twitter too!
Facebook: facebook.com/ABTomorrow
Twitter: http://twitter.com/ABTomorrow

13 comments:

  1. I still have 3 teenagers and we have a teen club in our town. They have been very honest with me about the drug and alcohol use there and they swear to me that they are not participating in anything besides the music, dancing and conversation. I still worry, it's a constant temptation and I know peer pressure can be intense. Thank you for the contact information. I hope I never need it, but I know that the future holds no guarantees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do right now, but that's because she is in bed asleep. When she is out with friends, I worry. I guess that's a parents job. I have to hope that all of the talks we have had about drug and alcohol will be enough to keep her safe. I don't like the club idea at all. The kids always found places to gather that were public and in my mind safer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish for simpler times, like before computers, tv's, and even cars. People used to know exactly where their kids were, out in the barn doing chores. Now, it's so hard to keep track of their comings and goings, let alone monitoring their actions while they are away from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a grade school teacher and I think my students know more about drugs than I do. Some of the questions they ask are positively frightening. I've been trying to educate myself to help them but I have to tell you I'm feeling overwhelmed. Do you ever know enough?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Judith, I'm a teacher too. And I don't think we can ever know enough, because there are always new drugs and combinations that are new. It's sad but I think it's an ongoing eductation and we need to do our best to keep on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once a teen gets their drivers license, does a parent ever really know where they are when they are away from the house? Worse, even if you know where they are, you don't know what they are doing. The only way to be really sure is to follow them, and that is impossible. You'll only alienate them more than what they already are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kalin, you may not want to follow them, but that doesn't mean you can't keep other tabs on them. I look through my kids' drawers, closets and cars regularly. I don't try and hide it either. They are aware of my vigilance. We talk about drugs a lot and they know they can call me any time for any reason if they don't want to drive home and I'll go get them. I know they drink occasionally, and while I'm not OK with it, they know they don't have to lie to me about it. That doesn't mean there won't be worse problems in the future, but I'm hoping the lines of communication will keep it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact I do. I run a pretty tight ship and my kids know that I will be checking up on them. Maybe not everytime, and that's what keeps them on the straight and narrow. One offense and they don't use the car again. It's that simple. I check purses and/or school bags several times a month. I go through their bedrooms occasionally too. I don't read their correspondence, but I do check to see which sites they have been accessing on the computer too. Some would call me a dictator, I think I'm being a concernced parent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every time one of them walks out the door, I wonder if they will make it home all right. They're not adults yet, but they're darned close to it. It doesn't stop me from wondering and worrying until they get back home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still wonder about the 5 who are living on their own so you know I want to know where my youngest is. She may be almost 17, but she doesn't have the common sense most 10 year olds have. I keep her as close to home as I can and when she does leave I check on her where abouts. If something does happen, I don't want to feel like I could have prevented it with a little more involvement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a teen yet and I'm already worrying about it. Some of my friends have teens and wondering where they are and what they are doing has them frazzled. I'm not looking forward to that at all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I don't. I wish there was some way I could find out. They both tell me it's none of my business where they go. I don't drive so I can't even follow them. I don't think they are messing with drugs. I know they both drink some even though they are under age. I feel like my hands are tied. One is almost 20 and the other one will soon be 18. Do we ever get to quit worrying?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not always, and it worries me. Even when she confides where she is going, it may or may not be the truth. She can look me in the eye and be very convincing. At 17 she pretty much does what she wants. I reached the point where I have to let go and let God take care of it.

    ReplyDelete